FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slo-motion options in MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip James
Slo-motion options in MC
on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:00:36 pm

I'm creating quite a lot of slow motion in my current project - using FluidMotion - most of them work but some have very obvious artefacts. I've tried Blended Interpolated and Blended VTR and they look worse so I'm not sure editing FM vectors will help. This is 25P footage that I am generally slowing down to 50%.

Are there any slow motion plug-ins out there that generally produce better results than FluidMotion? I see that Twixtor gets good reports. But it's not cheap!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

William Busby
Re: Slo-motion options in MC
on Oct 4, 2012 at 2:04:24 am

If Fluidmotion presents too many artifacts at certain points what I do is use BCC's Optical Flow and set 4 keyframes (2 before, 2 after... maybe 5 frames apart) before and after the artifact section/s and adjust the "Optical Flow Mix" to 25 (default is 100) for the "inside" keyframes. Works fairly well and takes no time to adjust.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:20:00 pm

How effective Fluidmotion and other slomo plugins are have a lot to do with the footage you're using, I cut a lot of fashion promos and when the client wants the half speed look but it's been shot at 25fps I generally use Timewarp. If you have big camera moves as well as lots of movement by the subject you're going to have problems, also if the subject is wearing clothes that flow a lot then that can be difficult. If the distortion is only on a couple of frames I remove Timewarp from those frames and start it again after, as its only a couple of frames you can't notice the speed change, it works particularly well if the distortion is caused by lights.

No matter what you use you're going to have a problem with artifacts and distortion, there's no substitute for shooting at a high frame rate I'm afraid.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

josh dutton
on Feb 23, 2014 at 9:20:38 am

Tutorial I did for removing artifacts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]