FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoot at 1920 X 1080 but edit at lower resolution... best workflow suggestions?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dragovits
Shoot at 1920 X 1080 but edit at lower resolution... best workflow suggestions?
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:38:27 pm

Convert from FCP here...

Can anyone tell me the best method for shooting at full resolution in the field, but then editing at a lower resolution in the Avid? I want to have the image resolution so I can zoom in within losing image quality. This is for a web based project, so having that flexibility would be really valuable.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Shoot at 1920 X 1080 but edit at lower resolution... best workflow suggestions?
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:46:54 pm

Easiest way? Don't use Avid, or cut with Avid and make marks of where you need to punch in then take an exported Quicktime (or do this on a shot by shot basis) into a program like After Effects or Premiere and scale the shots in there.

Avid isn't resolution independent, so if you shoot 1080 and edit in a 720 project all of your footage is scaled to 720. Scaling up to punch in a shot, therefore, results in resolution loss. It's my biggest complaint about Avid. It needs to be resolution independent, or there needs to be a fast and easy way to reference the source file's resolution for reframing without resolution loss.

One workflow I haven't tried yet but am thinking about it cutting in Avid, sending to Resolve and resizing in there, then rendering out new .mxf media with an AAF. Maybe that will work - haven't had a chance to test it yet.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
Re: Shoot at 1920 X 1080 but edit at lower resolution... best workflow suggestions?
on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:13:47 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the prompt response. However, I thought I had read a work process for Avid to do exactly what I'm trying to do without going into AE. I had read it some time ago though. It had something to do with setting up the project at hi-def first and then I think importing that bin into a new project that was set at a lower resolution.

Not sure if that was it for sure though. I'll have to noodle around to see if I can figure out what the trick was.

If anyone else has additional input I'd appreciate it.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 3, 2012 at 5:44:23 pm

I think it involved a Boris Plug-in of some type to do the scaling in an SD project with HD footage. Unsure of the actual steps.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:47:55 pm

You don't want to do the Boris route for anything more than the odd shot or two.

Avid isn't the right tool for this job. Take a look at Premiere or FCP.

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:31:12 am

Ok, I own Premier and FCP as well (not the latest of FCP, didn't like the interface)

Can you point me in the right direction for workflow for Premier? I upgraded to AVID because I always respected the quality. I thought for sure there would be some way to do this, but I guess not.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:16:40 am

If you choose not to go with Avid, I'd recommend Premiere.

I use Premiere CS5.5 (in addition to Avid), so some of this may have changed if you're on 6, but in Premiere go to your preferences, General, and check "Default scale to frame size". You need to do this before you import any footage.

Next, import your footage into Premiere and either make a custom sequence setting or choose a sequence setting that's lower resolution than your source footage. For example, if you shoot 1920x1080 at 23.976 you may want to edit in a 1280x720 at 23.976 sequence.

Edit as you normally would. When you cut your footage into the timeline it will scale it from 1920x1080 to 1280x720. If you come to a shot you want to punch in on just right click the clip in the timeline and uncheck "Scale to Frame Size". This will return that clip to full resolution - you can now scale the clip back down a bit, reframe, etc...

That said, another option is to edit in Avid and dedicate one track as the "punch in/reframe" track. So you make a 1920x1080 project and bring your footage in, click the Format tab and switch it to 720 or SD, edit as you normally would. When you come across a clip you want to punch in on edit it onto the "punch in/reformat" track - maybe designate Track 5. All clips that need to be reframed go onto track 5, the shots that don't require reformatting go on other tracks. At the end, export a Quicktime of track 5, take it into After Effects or Premiere, resize the shots as necessary and export a Quicktime. Import it into Avid, lay it over Track 5 (maybe designate Track 6 as the "Quicktime Reframed" track), then finish color correcting, etc...

If this is a short piece and you'll be reframing a lot, I'd just use Premiere. It's better suited to this workflow. If it's a long form piece and the media management and editing interface of Avid is better suited to the actual edit (or perhaps you need Script Sync or something in the NLE that's Avid only), go with Avid. I've done both.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:24:51 pm

Thanks, this really helps. I appreciate you taking the time to really spell it out.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]