FORUMS: list search recent posts

Link FCP XML (via conversion to aaf) to already transcoded footage in Avid??

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Link FCP XML (via conversion to aaf) to already transcoded footage in Avid??
on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:05:51 am

Relatively new to Avid and wondering how this should or could work. Here's the scenario:

1) Client drops off Alexa ProRes 4444 footage. We link to AMA and transcode to the DNxHD equivalent
2) All clips get logged in Avid with scene take info, comments etc.
3) Client assumes (incorrectly) that we're working in FCP and comes in a week later with a basic FCP project where he's dropped some selects into a timeline in order to speed up the edit

4) Wanting to preserve that work, I use Automatic Duck Pro Export to export the sequence as an AAF
5) When I import that AAF into Avid, the offline clips from that aaf won't relink to the clips that were transcoded originally in step 1

So, firstly, SHOULD this work? I know if I'd had the AAF from FCP in the beginning I could have linked to the original footage and transcoded from there, but in this scenario I've already transcoded the footage.

If this should work, any pointers on the workflow and various boxes to be checked would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Link FCP XML (via conversion to aaf) to already transcoded footage in Avid??
on Sep 29, 2012 at 1:09:45 pm

First make sure that the AAF from the converted XML has the same source information that was used in the transcode - it will either be in the Source File or Tape columns. And they will hopefully match the original file names although there is a very good chance that the original clips will be tracked via the "Source File Column" while your AAF has it in Tape - but you need to confirm that.

Either way - highlight the clips you want to relink it to in all the bin(s), and then highlight the seqeunce. Right click the sequence and do a "relink". In the relink dialog window, check "relink to selected" and in the "relink by" section, choose timecode (default) and "Tape name or Source File" from the source name menu. I would deselect "match case when comparing source names" and then click OK.

That "should" do it barring any other renaming issue that may have occured on its trip to FCP and back.

This assumes that your client was using your media... if they just linked to the files directly, then FCP does not use the entire filename, but the truncated 8 character version that is listed as REEL inside the QT header... that is another problem considering Media Composer does not extract that Reel ID via AMA and unless you imported the ALE that was created in camera when shooting, the process will be quite manual...

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]