FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting RED files into Media Composer 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Abbott
Getting RED files into Media Composer 6
on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:43:41 pm

Hello, I am a newbie when it comes to file formats and RED files in particular. The film I am editing was shot on the RED Scarlett-X. We are planning on using DaVinci Resolve to color correct. What would be the best way to get these files into Avid that would correspond the best with DaVinci? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Getting RED files into Media Composer 6
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:14:11 pm

The following video, while somewhat dated, is still valid to show you the different ways to get R3D into Media Composer:

http://community.avid.com/blogs/mediacomposer/archive/2010/12/02/mc-019-str...

Any of the methods will get you an AAF or EDL that will work in DaVinci Resolve but my own preferred method is to use RedCine X Pro over AMA to make native MXF/DNxHD 36 for offline for the following reasons:

1. Full control over all color parameters
2. one checkbox to make SMPTE legal for video levels
3. Doesn't tie up my MC when used in the background
4. Supports latest Red Color science immediately

And if double system audio, I prefer syncing in MC as it retains all the metadata from the BEXT chunk and AutoSync allows for quick sync to MIX track only if using MIX + ISO.

Many people have had success with direct AMA link for editing. It all depends on system performance and program expectations such as multicam, lots of layers and such.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Getting RED files into Media Composer 6
on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:09:05 pm

And I forgot to add that using Redcine X Pro does not add the _001, _002 for spanned files as the SDK handles how they are all connected. AMA ignores that and creates a file name with _001, etc. It may still work, but I prefer the filename on its own for EDL's and such - especially when going to Resolve and using "embedded in file" as the source ID.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]