FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to move project to another computer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Calabig
Best way to move project to another computer?
on Sep 23, 2012 at 4:05:45 pm

I'm trying to move a project from one machine to another. These two machines do not share the same raw files. Ideally, I would like to be able to put everything from the project on a hard drive.

Which files do I need? The Avid project file and the raw XMF files? If so, is there a way to export the project as a raw, lossless type of file beforehand so I don't have to dig through my "Avid MediaFiles" folder?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

stefan kamp
Re: Best way to move project to another computer?
on Sep 23, 2012 at 10:06:10 pm

Why not consolidate

Stefan Kamp, FCP,Ppro,MC,Lightworks

Return to posts index

Edward Calabig
on Sep 23, 2012 at 10:24:51 pm

Ok thanks. If I consolidate, do I just need to bring the files where I consolidate over to the new machine and copy the avid project file? Then do I just tell avid on the other machine to point to the location of the consolidated files? Sorry if these are common sense questions but last time I tried this it utterly failed :(

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:36:43 am

Consolidating creates new copies of the media files without re-encoding them to a new target drive. You can consolidate sequences and or clips. You can only consolidate media that is supported by Avid (ie you can't consolidate R3D files or Prores if on a PC)
Media that can't be consolidated can be Transcoded.

There are also other ways of collecting the media used and moving it to a new drive. On a PC MDV is a free utilitity and on Mac or PC Media Mover is alos very good. Unfortunatley Avid have never seen fit to include that simple functionality in the Media Tool.
With Avid media you shouldn't have to tell the clips and sequence where the media is. Thats one of the big differences with Media Composer. It indexes all the media it can see (because it all lives in specified folders) and maintains the relationship between clips and media dynamically.

Re the project: In theory you can just take the whole Project folder and move it between systems. they are cross platform and pretty much up and down version tolerant (another plus over other systems)
However good practice is to make a fresh project on the new system with the same project name (This will ensure the media tool sees all the related media when current project is selected. Because, importnatly, all media generated by MC has the name of the project it was created in stamped in it!)then take the Avid Bins (the .avb files) and copy them into the new project folder thats been created.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]