FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace Current Timeline Clips to Different Master Clip.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Tolhurst
Replace Current Timeline Clips to Different Master Clip.
on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:51:34 am

Avid 6.5 on Macbook Pro - OS - 10.7.4

Hello all. I'm a current student and was asked to cut a short trailer for an upcoming short film. The entire film was delivered to me as a DNXHD 175 X quicktime movie. Due to my inexperience, I imported the file into avid as DNXHD 115. The trailer is now complete, however the director is asking why the footage looks so washed out and milky. Once I realized my mistake, I imported the film again with the proper codec and colour space, and it looks infinitely better.

My question is if there is a way to relink the current timeline clips (115) to a new master clip (175 X), or to match frame the clips in the time line to a new master clip. I'm fully prepared to just recut the trailer, however if there is someway of saving the edits I have already done, I would love to know. Thanks in advance for your patience, please let me know if any further information is required.

JT

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Replace Current Timeline Clips to Different Master Clip.
on Sep 22, 2012 at 4:21:17 pm

If you actually imported the original file (File-->Import) then just select the DNxHD115 master clip in your bin and batch import it (right click-->Batch Import). It will ask "Offline Only" or "All Clips". Choose "All Clips". A box pops up. Set the resolution to DNxHD175x, pick a drive for the media, then click "Override clip settings with current settings". Click "Current Settings..." and make sure the import settings are correct (color, etc..). Hit Ok then Import. It will reimport the file and your sequence will automatically update.

Another option is to select the DNxHD115 master clip, hit delete, choose to keep master clip but delete media. This throws the media offline, Then batch import it. This gets rid of the DNxHD115 media so you aren't taking up double the drive space. I'd do this option.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 22, 2012 at 6:44:36 pm

...or highlight the sequence and the correct master clip you want to link to, then to a "relink to selected" in the Relink dialog pane.

Michael

Return to posts index

Joel Tolhurst
on Sep 22, 2012 at 7:02:48 pm

Hi Michael, thanks very much for your reply. Sounds very straight forward, I'll give it a try, thanks again,

Joel.

Return to posts index

Joel Tolhurst
on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:37:17 pm

Hey guys.

So I followed Michael's first suggestion (batch import all clips) and now all my clips are offline. An additional box asked me if I wanted to import both video and audi or just a RT Mask (I believe). I choose to import both Audio and Video. The master clip is indeed now in the correct format, I just am having trouble relinking the media to get it back online. Any help would be greatly appreciate, thanks very much.

Joel.

Return to posts index

Joel Tolhurst
on Sep 23, 2012 at 10:08:44 am

Got it figured out, thanks for your help. Cheers,

JT.

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Mar 22, 2017 at 8:30:16 pm

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but it relates......

I have two days' of dailies that were transferred with an artefact on all of the clips that are not on the master camera files.
They are redoing the export of the MXFs from Resolve for me.
I have to keep editing with that material while I wait for the new transfer.
If I want to replace all of the clips from those days - not just the sequence, what would be the best way to do that to ensure that I don't lose any links?

I have done this before many years ago.....but can't remember exactly what I did and don't have time for mis-steps ☹

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tory Stewart
on May 3, 2017 at 3:29:59 pm

Hi Sherril,

I'd love to hear if you found a solution for this? I'm in a similar boat!

Thanks,

Tory

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on May 4, 2017 at 11:37:04 pm

Hi Tory,

THIS ONLY WORKS IF THE REPLACEMENT FILE NAMES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINALS i.e they are a re-export out of Resolve (or such) with the same names.

I made sure that all of the mxf's for those dailies were in their own Avid MediaFiles folder. Do this BEFORE you quit out of Avid and use the Media Tool to move them to their own folder if they are mixed in with other footage that you don't want to replace.

I quit out of AVID and then did the following:
I copied them to an NG folder that I created outside of the MXF file structure for safety, and deleted them from their original folder.
Then I copied all of the NEW, replacement MXFs to the ORIGINAL folder that had had the "bad" files in them.

I trashed the media database.....and when I relaunched Avid.....voila.....everything linked up to the original master clips inside of Avid. I think there may have been a couple of files that I had to relink manually.

Let me know if this works for you.....and good luck :)

Return to posts index

Tory Stewart
on May 10, 2017 at 1:43:54 pm

Hi Sherril,

Thanks so much for this. I followed your steps and most of my clips didn't link automatically to the new files but a simple relink did the trick and now all are online and looking good.

The only buggy thing I encountered is that all my AUX TC info disappeared after relinking. Judging from this thread it sounds like it's a common issue. I followed the suggestion of exporting an ALE with the AUX TC and merging it after relinking the clips and that worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Tory

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]