FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major slowdown problems...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Walker
Major slowdown problems...
on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:35:58 am

Hi all,

I am having slowdown with red bars appearing in my timeline affecting my PiP. (That means processor stress right?)

I am running on a Mac Pro 10.7.4 w/ 2 2.4 GHz intel xeons w/ 48 GB of RAM....
Running MC 6.0.3

It should be butter right?

It's a simple AMA link to some .rev files for an editing class but the slowdown is even worse with my 7d AMA link, any advice?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Major slowdown problems...
on Sep 22, 2012 at 4:22:35 pm

If these are files from a 7D then they're .h264. That's a terrible codec to edit with and Avid doesn't do well with it. Select your master clips in your bin and transcode them to the DNxHD flavor of your choice. If you need to, relink your sequence to the transcoded clips. Then it should be smooth as butter. Or just render your timeline, but you'd do better to transcode. AMA kind of sucks to edit with, and .h264 is even worse.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:25:13 pm

I'm concerned that whoever is teaching this class, didn't tell you that AMAing 7D footage and editing that directly without transcoding was a bad idea. The teacher needs to tell you these things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Walker
on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:56:24 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. How do you recommend to transcode? I've used mpeg stream clip in the past and have found my dnxhd footage to come out very noisy.

Could the AMA link to the .revs explain the slowdown? They are just sd 480i files...

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 22, 2012 at 7:47:50 pm

What's a .revs file?

If you already have AMA links to the footage - just select the clips in the bin and select "consolidate/transcode" from the Clip menu and choose codec of your choice from there.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 22, 2012 at 6:47:19 pm

As mention already, H.264 is not an optimized codec for editing - and another factor to consider is the speed of the hard drive and its connectivity to the computer. This also can adversely affect performance. Especially when doing two input type effects such as PIP, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]