FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for shared storage.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Recommendations for shared storage.
on Sep 19, 2012 at 4:29:48 pm

I've been tasked with putting together a proposal on shared storage. We are a mid-size facility doing long form documentary films. We have 7 edit stations now; but will need to expand up to 10+ in the near future. Being doc, we have a lot of media. I have a quote on an Edit Share system; but would like to put together something that is shared storage only (as opposed to shared storage and project sharing). Does anyone have recommendation on solid, reliable, turnkey solutions?

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Recommendations for shared storage.
on Sep 19, 2012 at 7:18:14 pm

So just shared media...you aren't going to try to share the projects...at all...now nor in the future? Make sure of that. Because if you get a normal SAN...all that will do is share media. If you want shared projects...that calls for UNITY.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Sep 19, 2012 at 7:29:02 pm

I am pushing for projects sharing (Unity, Edit Share, Terrablock) but due diligence requires me to come up with a number for just shared media. And an analysis of pros and cons.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:52:30 am

Check out Small Tree Communications.

http://www.small-tree.com/Titanium-4-and-ThunderNET_CreativeCow_a/537.htm?C...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:38:40 pm

Theres a company out there called facilis, that we have been looking into. It was created by one of the guys who orginally created Avid Unity, with that the offer a storage system with what they are calling avid emulation, which basicly makes the Avid think its working on a Issis. But it also offers support for FCP and Adobe edit evoirments. Its really go us looking long and hard at this product.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:20:42 pm

The major options that are widely in use, as far as I know them, are: Avid ISIS/Unity, Facilis Terrablock, EditShare. Then I was sort of looking into alternatives like Dynamic Drive Pool, but haven't tested any of them. You also may want to check out Strawberry as an add on for any of them (shared project management software).

From what I have been told, if you want to share the media, you're sort of OK with all of them, but if you want true, easy, transparent project / bin sharing, you need Avid's systems. They are completely built for several people working within the same project at the same time. For all others, you can sort of get the same result, but you need everyone to work very disciplined.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:42:28 am

Well, i've got a Dynamic Drive Pool, and it works swell for me.
I don't do project sharing, but being able to create / connect different drives to different machines, and making clones so multiple computers can access the same drive is handy every now and then.

It connects over Iscsi, fast enough and the computer does not know it's in fact a network drive.

Latest versions give you control over bandwith per user, so the discipline for the editors is not that hard.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Shane Rodbourn
on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:18:26 pm

Facilis TerraBlock provides native bin and project sharing within Avid Media Composer just as if you were on Unity or ISIS (e.g. - you'll see the same bin locking/unlocking icons).

If you have any questions, please let us know - Sales@facilis.com

Regards,
Shane
GM/SVP
Facilis

Return to posts index

Chris Devers
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:16:02 pm

[Job ter Burg] "From what I have been told, if you want to share the media, you're sort of OK with all of them, but if you want true, easy, transparent project / bin sharing, you need Avid's systems. They are completely built for several people working within the same project at the same time. For all others, you can sort of get the same result, but you need everyone to work very disciplined.
"

This isn't accurate: EditShare also offers “true, easy, transparent project / bin sharing”, very similar to how Avid NLEs operate when working with Unity storage.

And we also offer full compatibility for both media & project sharing with other leading NLEs, including Final Cut & Premiere. We have lots of customers that run a mix of Avid & Final Cut workstations, for example.

Feel free to get in touch with us at sales ( at ) editshare • com or support ( at ) editshare • com and we can chat about it if you'd like to learn more.

--
Chris Devers
EditShare Tech Support
support ( at ) editshare • com
http://editshare.com
Twitter: @EditShare & @ESLightWorks

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:47:09 pm

Thanks Chris, I am already in contact with Editshare and have a quote in hand. Now its just pulling the trigger on it.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]