FORUMS: list search recent posts

96 kHz Audio Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Grout
96 kHz Audio Workflow
on Sep 19, 2012 at 9:51:08 am

I'm about to start a project to be cut in Media Composer 6 and mixed in Pro Tools 10. We'd like to record our audio in 96 kHz, 24-bit, but Avid will only handle up to 48 kHz. Anyone know a good work around? Can you conform a Pro Tools project from 48 kHz to 96? (Also, why is there no Pro Tools forum here?)

I've tried AMA linking to 96 kHz files and it plays and edits fine until I try to move the project to a different workstation. Then relinking becomes a nightmare.

Ideas? Thanks.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Processor - 10 GB 1333 MHz RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB Video Card - OS X Lion 10.7.4 - Avid Media Composer 6.0 - Adobe Production Premium Suite CS4 - Final Cut Studio 3.0

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: 96 kHz Audio Workflow
on Sep 19, 2012 at 11:27:17 am

Is the material recorded dialog or music? I think 96kHz is overkill for audio recording.

That being said, there are no workaorunds for 96kHz editing within Media Composer. AMA linking is only being resampled on the fly to 48kHz when playing. Also, never use AMA for BWF files as the timecode decode is handled by QuickTime and you will never be accurate as with a direct BWF import which grabs all the BEXT chunk metadata such as scene/take, track info and... correct timecode.

Pro Tools can conform to the original files if you import them directly and maintain the source file names properly during editorial. I would suggest that once you import the BWF files, their full filename exists in the TapeID column - highlight that column, do a command-D/control-D and select Soundroll from the pop-up dialog box and click OK. Now the sources are being tracked in the Soundroll column where many users expect to see the source name. Do not use the SoundTC column for audio timecode as it continues to be hard-coded for 30fps regardless of project type.

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:38:14 pm

The Help files claim that MC/SY does in fact support 96kHz audio.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:46:40 pm

hmmm... interesting. I should read those. ;)

Does it have any details about what that means? Playback only? Render? AMA versus Import? I'll make a call into some folks.

Good to know, thanks. Although I still think it's overkill for dialog...

Michae

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Sep 20, 2012 at 3:58:36 pm

I think you can set the master clock to 96K. May depend on attached hardware. My DeckLink Studio 2 setup doesn't do anything but 48K. My Nitris DX system lets me choose 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:29:45 pm

Interesting... on software only, everything ends up being 48kHz or less based on project settings. Waiting to get the straight scoop for engineering. It most likely is tied to the hardware, but I guess I never checked the project settings to see what might be in there with different hardware attached. There is no mention of this added behavior on the Avid webpage for third party I/O.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/en422991

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]