FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not able to consolidate P2 footage into new Avid MC 6.5!!!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filippo piscopo
Not able to consolidate P2 footage into new Avid MC 6.5!!!
on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:44:04 pm

When I try to import (consolidate) a P2 card (clips to bin) the system doesn't let me do it and says:

"The legacy P2 import workflow is not compatible with the AMA P2 workflow. To use legacy P2 import, first exit the editor and uninstall the AMA plugin".

I reinstalled both the P2 AMA v2.5.2 Mac and the MXF AMA Plug-in v1.7.2 Mac(1)
PLEASE HELP! IM ON A TIME CRUNCH!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Not able to consolidate P2 footage into new Avid MC 6.5!!!
on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:59:09 pm

Did you use LINK TO AMA VOLUME?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

filippo piscopo
on Sep 13, 2012 at 10:51:55 pm

Yes, and the media shows Offline, but I need to CONSOLIDATE (clips to bin and media feature), not to AMA.
Any idea?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 13, 2012 at 10:57:34 pm

You need to first get the media to be seen by the Avid...and how it does that now is via AMA. You cannot consolidate until you bring it into the system.

You do AMA and it shows up OFFLINE? Do you have the full card structure? Did you load the latest P2 AMA plugin?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

filippo piscopo
on Sep 13, 2012 at 11:29:47 pm

Let me give you the sequence of what i did:

1) I installed MC 6.5.0
2) I installed the MXF AMA Plug-in v1.7.2 Mac (latest release Aug. 31st)
3) I installed the P2 AMA v2.5.2 Mac (is that the right one?)
4) I went to the settings and set allow legacy P2 import
5) I opened a new Avid bin and selected clips to bin
6) the msg I told you about appears
7) If i try to link to AMA volume (pointing to the P2 structure before the contents folder

the media is OFFLINE.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 13, 2012 at 11:39:00 pm

[filippo piscopo] "4) I went to the settings and set allow legacy P2 import"

Uncheck that. Then try again.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

filippo piscopo
on Sep 14, 2012 at 12:04:39 am

Tried but same result (I even restarted the application), and I am slowly getting into despair ... What is it that I am doing wrong?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 14, 2012 at 12:37:56 am

Try copying the contents of the card to your desktop and try linking to it there.

This worked for me once.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 14, 2012 at 8:26:39 am

I'm not sure I understand what you need to achieve.
With P2 there are two ways to make Avid media either the old legacy way or the new AMA way.
If you are seeing the mount AMA volume option then you have the new AMA way selected.
When you mount the volume it should populate a bin with master clips linked to the media in the source P2 volume.
Sounds like you are getting the master clips but not seeing media (you do have the MXF AMA plugin installed? type AMA_installedplugins in the console to check the plugins installed and the version numbers)
If everything is correct at the Avid end then it points to a problem with the source P2 folder or it's structure.
This should work easily. P2 is an established workflow on Avid and I demostrate it all the time while teaching.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

filippo piscopo
on Sep 15, 2012 at 12:50:18 am

Thanks for your reply Pat:
I installed both the P2 AMA plugin and the MXF plugin but when I try to AMA my P2 cards media appears OFFLINE, and when I check the legacy P2 import, quit Avid and restart, same thing happens.

I also checked on the console, here's what it says:

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.7
AS-02 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0
PanasonicP2 MVP_MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.5
QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.2

Does it sound right?

Should I uninstall and reinstall?

Have a great weekend.
Filippo

Return to posts index

filippo piscopo
on Sep 15, 2012 at 4:14:53 am

I made it! But I had to reinstall Avid. I think a piece of software was missing ... Now I am able to see the P2 AMA clips

The P2 'clips to bin' still doesn't work (same 'incompatibility message) so, as a friend suggested, I am consolidating the clips - currently linked via AMA - on my hard drive. I selected all the clips I wish to consolidate, and chose "Clip" > "Consolidate/Transcode" and consolidate as I would with any piece of media.

The thing I don't understand is why this new version of Avid features a function (legacy P2 import) that in practice doesn't work because it is incompatible with the AMA feature ....

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 15, 2012 at 7:42:05 am

Because Avid has such robust past project support.
You can still open a Version 3 Avid project that used the old P2 import method today and continue editing. Which is why the new AMA can be turned off and legacy import P2 used.
But the way you have now done it iis the correct way its not a workaround. Its the way we teach users to AMA. link and consolidate.
Glad you got to where everyone else is why:-)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Sep 17, 2012 at 3:53:13 pm

It sounds like the legacy import feature only works if you uninstall the AMA plug-in. Easy peasy, just uninstall and reinstall the AMA plug depending if you want to work via AMA or import the media. That's jacked up IMO.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/112832.aspx

Return to posts index

Matthew Roman
on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:22:51 pm

I own a Panasonic HVX200 and a FS-100 drive. I know it's a little old but i just got the firestore drive for Christmas. I'm having a difficult time getting my Avid Media Composer 6.5.0 to recognize the .mxf video files from the FS-100 drive.

1) I first plug the fs-100 into my MacPro using a firewire cable.
2) Then i get the FS-100 to connect to the MacPro.
3) I go into my Avid Media Files and create a MXF folder and the create three new files numbered 1, 2, and 3.
4) Next i take the files from my FS-100 and place them into the number 2 folder.
5) I then open up Avid Media Composer 6.5.0
6) I then go to tools 7) I select the hard drive where i placed the media files, which in my case is folder 2.
8) I select all projects, and check the two boxes below which are labeled Master Clips and Media Files.

At this point i think i'm doing well and that everything is going to work.

The next window pops up with all of my media files except for the media files that i put in the number 2 folder in the MXF folder i created under Avid Media Files.

I've spent a good 8 hours now trying to figure this out and figured its time to ask for help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like i've been banging my head against a wall for a while trying to get avid to read these clips.

A little more information: I have my HVX200's settings set to 1080i/24f and P2 is selected on the back of my camera. I do have a p2 card that is in the camera but it is full and i found that the fs-100 won't work/record unless a p2 card is in the camera. My Fs-100 is set to DVCPROHD REC/ P2/FA Tapeless.

Sincerely,

MR

Any links on how i can get this to work would be great. If anyone has come across this similar problem and wouldn't mind sharing your steps for success that would be awesome too! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]