FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mobile Editing In An RV Question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Taylor
Mobile Editing In An RV Question
on Sep 9, 2012 at 4:53:44 pm

Hey Guys-

I'm working a crazy mobile editing road trip project where the turn-around between shoot and delivery is so tight we have to cut it on the road along with the production crew. So far we've been able to set up in hotel rooms and do the cutting... Starting next week we're probably gonna be set up in an RV during 15 hour drives zig zagging across the country. I have some concerns- if you have any insight or anything to add I would greatly appreciate the advice!

Cutting MC6 on two mac book pros (brand new I7 running 10.7.4)with SSD internal drives. Media wise we have four 4 tb G-techs with thunderbult.

My concern mostly is the bumpy nature of the RV (which we experienced as passengers yesterday and can attest to) It is so bumpy that just using a lap top for normal web stuff was hard to precisely use the mouse to click the buttons you want, and while watching a quicktime on my non-editing regular 5400 RPM hardrive in my MBP during extreme bumps I noticed harddrive lag. So considering all the media is on our external G-Techs do you think it will be a problem with the bumpyness of the RV?

And secondly we purchased an APC to include in our RV rig- but because of the power situation coming from the on-board generator we can't set it up with our current set up. We're working on possibly purchasing a new one... But would you be concerned about running our external harddrives through a surge protector into our generator? I was told power can fluxuate because of the AC use (or possibly just in general).

Thanks for your help!

David

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Mobile Editing In An RV Question
on Sep 13, 2012 at 12:04:09 am

Your power will fluctuate. It's fine for your laptop because of battery but your hard drives are going to take a hit. I had a similar experience last month. The generator drop too low a few times and knocked off power on the hard drive. Not a fun experience.

If all is not worked out before hand, you will have a bumpy ride. On that note, I've not had issues when editing while someone else was driving. if you're in the interstate, you should be fine. Urban areas may give you a challenge.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]