FORUMS: list search recent posts

No color, only black and white

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roger cooper
No color, only black and white
on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:48:09 am

I have an old ABVB system that is on a Mac 9600, OS 8.1, MC7.2.
For some reason, I cannot get a color image on the client monitor. It used to play color no problem. The footage plays in color normally in the source and record windows.
I exported a small section of the sequence as a quicktime, and it comes out in color there. Color bars also look fine in source/record windows, but are in black and white on the client monitor.
There are also some vertical lines when playing the color material on the client monitor.
The sequence has both color footage digitized from 3/4", and black and white stock footage. The black and white plays fine on the client monitor. It's just the color stuff that came from the 3/4" that is the problem.
Does it sound like the video card is toast or needs to be re-seeded? I'm reluctant to re-seed it because it is so old and brittle.
I've seen Nu-Vista cards do stuff like this in the old days.

thanks
Roger Cooper
splogcooper@roadrunner.com
310 480-7902

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: No color, only black and white
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:47:18 am

What outputs are you using from the ABVB to feed the monitor? Is the video output tool set correctly for that connection?

Return to posts index

roger cooper
on Sep 5, 2012 at 4:35:05 pm

The video signal comes directly from the card to a router (via bnc cable) to the monitor.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:23:28 pm

Define video signal, please. Composite, Component, S-Video, SDI...?

Return to posts index

roger cooper
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:44:53 pm

It's one BNC cable, so I assume composite.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Sep 5, 2012 at 10:55:51 pm

Well, if that one BNC is the Y-output of a component signal, fed into the Composite input of the monitor, then it would certainly be black & white. If the BNC is the Composite output of the Avid and it is attached to the Y-connector of the monitor's Component input, it would also show B&W.

So you need to know if the right BNC of the ABVB's snake cable is attached to the right input on the monitor. Assumption won't help you track the issue down... ;-)

Return to posts index

roger cooper
on Sep 6, 2012 at 12:12:34 am

This version of media composer doesn't seem to offer a choice on video output, so I'm not sure if it's component or composite. It's just snake cable from the card to BNC input on the router, then BNC from there to the monitor. Does it sound like cabling and not the card itself?

thanks

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:59:58 am

There's one way to find out, and that is to check which BNC from the snake is plugged into the router, and which input on the monitor the router is feeding. That's my point. If you're not 1000% sure that the connection is correct, you will never know if the problem is in the card or after it.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 5, 2012 at 9:23:18 am

Are you playing PAL footage on an NTSC monitor or vice versa?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]