FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baselight for Avid: who's tried it?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Frome
Baselight for Avid: who's tried it?
on Sep 2, 2012 at 11:36:18 pm

I like resolve, but I am lazy. I don't like taking my work out of Avid if I don't have to. Baselight for Avid "looks" pretty good, but I don't have much experience with it. Cost aside, has anyone worked with it enough to compare to Resolve?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Baselight for Avid: who's tried it?
on Sep 2, 2012 at 11:43:15 pm

Ive been playing with it for a while. As I was on the beta. It's quite nice. Tools are very different from resolve, but just as powerful for most 2d/video tasks. Only limitation is just quirkyness of avx and plugin nature of the soft. Well that and the difficulty using raw formats, applying grades across reels.

There is a demo available on their site, check it out to see if it will work for you. It is a very different approach to grading from that used by resolve for example.

And performance of course is nowhere near a dedicated system. Thought still quite good for a plugin.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 3, 2012 at 1:11:47 am

I started a thread on this at Reduser, so as to not duplicate posts, you can see it here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?84627-Baselight-AVX-Plug-in-now...

I gave a high level view of differences depending on workflow. The continued discussion has some interesting insight as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 3, 2012 at 2:10:11 am

Thanks for passing this on. I'm doing as much reading and tutorial watching as possible to make my 14 day trial count as much as possible.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:23:23 pm

Further question about your RAW comments: would it not be possible to relink to say, RED RAW in Avid and then grade as usual? What limitations do you encounter (besides the resolution) when grading RAW inside Avid/Baselight vs a dedicated system like Resolve?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]