FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 422 HQ MXF wrapped files in Avid MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff reilly
ProRes 422 HQ MXF wrapped files in Avid MC6
on Aug 30, 2012 at 7:29:32 pm

Does anyone have any experience working with ProRes files wrapped in MXF codec and cutting in Avid MC6? I'm getting ready to start a feature doc and we're devising a workflow efficient in both time and storage. The fast import of ProRes is the best time - about 1/4 of real time per clip, however the director and I don't have any experience working with a mass quantity of these files and whether or not it will bog the system down. Sometimes these things sound better on paper but once you get in deep Avid's response slows down and the time saved in the beginning isn't worth what you lose at the end.

We have about 100hrs of footage, we will be cutting on a Mac, most likely working off external drives connected via eSata or FW800. Any input on how the system holds up is greatly appreciated.
Thanks much
Jeff

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: ProRes 422 HQ MXF wrapped files in Avid MC6
on Aug 30, 2012 at 9:07:05 pm

From what I heard, using ProRes in MC does strain the system more than using DNxHD. So my recommendation would be to transcode to and cut in DNxHD36 or so, then relink to your APR imports when locked.

Return to posts index

stefan kamp
on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:00:00 pm

Transcoding will definitely save you some problems in the case of APR...

Stefan Kamp, FCP,Ppro,MC,Lightworks

Return to posts index

Chris Holmes
on Aug 30, 2012 at 10:10:20 pm

I made a switch back to Media Composer earlier this year, and I'm just finishing my first project.

Most of the footage was recorded as ProRes, with some EXCAM, and XDCAM footage in there as well.

I used AMA to bring in the original footage, and transcoded it all to DNxHD 36 for offline. It worked great for offline cutting. I simply set up a large transcode to happen overnight.

I've had no problem relinking the picture lock to the original files, and am now going to transcode the picture lock to DNxHD 175 to pass on for online.

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

jeff reilly
on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:26:19 pm

Thanks for input guys, I appreciate it. For those keeping score at home, our footage is 1080/23.98

Some testing was done and transcoding to DNxHD 175 was roughly real time. Transcoding to DNxHD 36 was double time and the fast import of APR was a 1/4 of the real time length of the clip.

That being said, everyone knows its no fun being in the middle of a big project with your system bogging down.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:09:43 pm

Prores MXF will be FINE. It adds a marginal (5-10%) overhead above DnxHD and that's it. It works solid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]