FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does importing a file into Avid affect the source file?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Warren
Does importing a file into Avid affect the source file?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:52:07 pm

Really simple question as I'm an AVID newbie. I am currently importing a pro res file into Avid, which despite saying fast import, is taking forever.

What I want to know is when I start editing that file in avid, will the source media be changed? I know in FCP, you're essentially 'linking' to the source file, but not actually modifying it. Is it the same in Avid?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Does importing a file into Avid affect the source file?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:01:50 pm

In order for fast import to work, you need to set your project to be matching in raster size and frame rate, then in your media creation settings, set your import media creation to match the codec (Whether it's Pro Res 422, Pro Res 422 HQ, or what not)

Regarding the file name, Avid will keep track of the source file name, but it will create it's own new media.
Since you want to fast import, I'm assuming you want to work at full res, but if you're importing at low res for offline you shouldn't mess with the file name because you're going to need to either batch import it or relink via ama, and that source file name will be important for that.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:10:45 pm

Thanks Richard, appreciate your fast reply.

I did read about how to make sure fast import works, and I followed all the instructions, so it is indeed fast importing. It's a 65 minute file, so perhaps I'm expecting too much to expect that to move very fast! Also, the file was given to me, so besides the settings I can see in QT, I don't know how else it was exported.

I won't change any file names, I just wanted to make sure that once I start editing the file I just imported, cutting, splicing, sub clipping, etc. it won't alter the source file. I honestly wasn't sure and was worried to start doing anything for fear that the source file will change and I can't go back.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:23:39 pm

If your version of Avid supports AMA linking, it will be MUCH faster to link to the file and transcode - this does not affect the original file.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:25:11 pm

Typically transcoding a file vs. importing is about 1/4 realtime in my experience with ProRes Qt files

Ricky

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:26:50 pm

Hi! Quick answer...your original file will never be altered.
You're only importing it...so you're safe!

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:53:39 pm

Yay! Thank you! I knew that was probably the answer, but wanted to make sure.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:04:25 am

Since you said it's a 65 minute prores file, even a 'fast import' is going to take a while, depending on the speed of your drives.

"fast import" is akin to a file copy. So, a 65 minute prores file is going be ...what, 90GB or so? So, give it some time.

You may want to just AMA link it, which would be instant.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:07:47 am

Source files are never changed by Avid whatever method you use.
So Importing or AMA linking will never change the source.
If you do go the slower import route then once imported the masterclip Avid creates in the bin points to the media Avid will have created and not the source file. teh source file no longer needs to be present.
You can always batch import that file again and Avid will know the file name and path (irrespective of any clip renaming you do) and if Avid can't find the source file with that name at the location it imported it from it will let you naviagte to it. You can also then change the import settings if you don't want the same as you used last time. One issue with importing is any error in the import settings will end up with "wrong" media being created and you'll have to trash the media and import again.
If you use AMA you can see the result straight away and even if you system struggles to playback that source codec you can check and change the "set Source Settings" on some formats and adjust as required and then Transcode.
AMA source files do have to stay in the same location with the same name as that is the media MC is accessing.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:36:16 am

Thank you for the very detailed explanation Pat. I am determined to understand Avid better, so have decided to force myself to cut a project in there. Took me about 3 hours just to even get going, but it's all a learning curve.

I still don't really understand the AMA linking thing. I tried to do that to this file, but that option was grayed out. Does the source file have to be in a certain format for the AMA linking to work?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:47:55 am

Yes Danielle only certain AMA sources allow the changing of the source settings. Red is one. Generic QT's another. Most of the true tapeless formats are assumed to produce known settings so the source adjustment is locked. This is an option we've requested a number of times as it's quite possibel to have proper source files with incorrect content. Anyway till then we manage with what we get.

If you are UK based I deliver a custome AVid course specifically designed for tapeless work.

http://www.vet.co.uk/site/training/scheduled_courses/avid_media_management_...

And we plan to have some online modules geared around this in the future.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:51:10 am

Good to know Pat.

I'm actually in US, although the course 'Avid for FCP' users is perfect for me. It seems there are a lot of materials and courses for FCP for Avid users for some reason, but not the other way around.

I'd love to take a course, but think cutting a project in it is always the best way to learn. And if you don't mind, I'm sure I will be posting more questions here!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:00:51 pm

Yes FCP to Avid is the key course currently and FCP legacy training has just about vanished.

By all means give it a go and always happy to post but you learn a lot of neat tricks and techniques in a session and that can help prevent the tears that a wrong can draw...

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:02:25 pm

I know. I tend to learn so much better when someone is teaching me, but most courses are so expensive I just don't know if it would be worth it to me. I totally understand why they are, it's just not really something I can afford to do at the moment.

When I get the chance, I'd love to!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:04:21 pm

Just a small point of clarification - AMA linking option shouldn't be greyed out, I don't believe - it should either be available or it should say P2 import options. You may already know that you can enable or disable AMA linking. It may not allow linking as Pat said, based on the source file, but the option itself shouldn't be greyed out.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:24:07 pm

I think Danielle was refering to the set source setting menu option which does get greyd out if the format of AMA does't support it.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:29:19 pm

Ahhh, got it.

Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]