FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C300 Spanned Clips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Maghran
Canon C300 Spanned Clips
on Aug 23, 2012 at 5:18:41 am

Hi Everyone,

Working on a show shot on canon c300. It shoots mpeg 2 50 mb/s. We are working entirely with AMA. After transcoding to 14:1 i relink the .new clips to the AMA clips, but with any clips 48mins long or more, they do not relink. This is obviously an issue as .new clips will not relink for online. Ive already tried checking version seperator, which works for any clips under 48mins.

The only option i see at this point is transcoding these long clips to our high res finishing media and then using them as new masters. Anyone have this issue?

Brendan

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Canon C300 Spanned Clips
on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:52:29 am

No experience myself, but i'm working for a client who is doing exactly this. (of course he's on the other side of the planet, so i've never seen it functioning...)

Not much of help, but a few questions. (hope to narrow down the cause of trouble)

You AMA in your clips. At that point, do you have a single long clip that you transcode to 14:1 ?

When you AMA in the originals, do the spanned clips still come up as one long clip?

Did you alter the sources? (That can be done, but the MIF file needs to be updates or Avid pukes at them.)

Can you describe the 48 minute problems.
Does that mean switching to another card? (It does not make sense otherwise...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Aug 23, 2012 at 3:11:59 pm

Hi Bouke,

Yes, I AMA in all the clips and transcode to 14:1. I am assuming that some of these clips are spanned- I'm not entirely sure how to tell but I know C300 has spanned clip issues in the past.

**My issue is that some of the single clips that I am transcoding are over 48 minutes long. These are the problem clips, for some reason they do not relink after transcoding.

I do not believe it has anything to do with switching to another card. This problem is consistent across the different camera rolls I have transcoded thus far.

Any help is appreciated! I have to start grouping this stuff soon. Is it possible to just sub clip the AMA clip and transcode it into two parts? Would this cause any trouble with relinking back to original sources for online?

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Aug 23, 2012 at 6:54:59 pm

Ive had a bit of luck. It turns out the c300 spans clips into 2.05 gbs peices. Through the canon xf utility ive managed to merge them into one clip. Now as a lone .mxf i am having trouble getting it into avid. Through transcoding, it says "invalid directory." dragging it into the mxf/1 folder doesnt work either. This is annoying

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]