FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA offline 23.976 project to online

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Maghran
AMA offline 23.976 project to online
on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:53:07 pm

Hi All,

Working on a show shooting and delivering broadcast 23.976. The network will conform to 59.94. All digital workflow using AMA for canon c300 and 5D.

We are shooting all 23.976 but i will be receiving test footage shot at 29.97. In the 23.976 project my workflow is to transcode to 14:1, relink the clips so that online is just a matter of re mounting AMA volumes.

Question is for the 29.97 stuff...since you cant relink or re ama-mount this stuff (as offline transcode would convert the frame rate) in a 23.976 project for online, do i mount and transcode for offline in a 29.97 project then bring in the bins?

Thanks,
Brendan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AMA offline 23.976 project to online
on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:41:52 pm

Yes - transcode to resolution that is close to 14:1 - I would then, just to have the original timecode around is duplicate the original 30fps timecode while in the 29.97 project to the TC30 column. Once transcoded, then open that bin in your 23.976 project. If for whatever reason, you render/transcode any of those clips again, you will have an idea of which clips came from the 29.97 by looking at the TC 30 column and still track the original timecode if needed.

Online would be a repeat of the process with a different quality render.

Seems like some of this management could be automated, but that changed in v6 with the transcode losing all reference to original sources when transcoding in a frame rate other than the source. Just a bit more work for to manage.

Michael

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:16:07 pm

Thanks Michael,

Online is whats tying me up a bit. I will be re-ama'ing the footage myself. For the 23.976 stuff, obviously itll be done in the main 23.976 project. But for the 29.97 footage, do I re-ama in a 59.94 project?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:22:28 pm

Yes, for those elements that used the 29.97. That's why some indication in a separate column to let you know those clips came from a different project/frame rate as they would need to be brought back in the same way. "In theory" this is how it would work. AMA can be cranky and I have never done a multiframe rate AMA conform. I just know that if you don't indicate which clips came from another frame rate, it will all be lost if you transcode in the active project frame rate.

If there is not a lot of 29.97 footage, you may want to just transcode that to your final resolution (DNxHD 115, 175x?).

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]