FORUMS: list search recent posts

Symphony 5.5 or 6 – HD media in SD project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hammer
Symphony 5.5 or 6 – HD media in SD project
on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:00:45 pm

I am a long-time FCP editor working now in Avid. I have an SD project in front of me. I would like to use some HD media in the project and be able to scale the footage, taking advantage of the full source resolution, ie use a 720 x 486 field cropped from the full-raster HD source.

In FCP, this is what I'd get by dropping HD source on an SD timeline and then scaling the HD clip to 100% using motion tab. If I apply Resize filter and scale, it treats the HD source as SD and magnifies the pixels instead of drawing from the full HD source. This applies whether I bring the HD media in via import or link with AMA.

So is there a plugin, filter, work-around or do I need to go outside Avid to do my cropping?

Thanks for any advice.

david

David Hammer
Brightwood Studios
david@brightwoodstudios.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Symphony 5.5 or 6 – HD media in SD project
on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:48:59 pm

Can't do this in Avid exactly how you're thinking. It's not how it works.

If you want to do this "inside Avid" then use AvidFX. The interface will be annoying to learn and it's very slow, but it will do it.

Or just do the camera move in after effects.

It's a pain, and I wish Avid could do this better, but I'll just say that there are benefits to it working this way too in different circumstances.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:45:45 pm

With Avid, you'd import the HD material and check Resize on the import menu. That generates letterboxed SD material. Alternatively, you could create a HD project and export the finished project as SD or change the project settings to SD (I suppose that depends on the system).

While I understand the freedoms afforded by being able to move HD shots around in a SD frame with FCP, I suppose Avid's argument would be that the shots should have been properly composed in the field rather than fudged in post. If your end product were HD, you wouldn't be able to do what you're desiring anyway unless you shot 4K or something.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:56:18 pm

Yeah, that's called RESOLUTION INDEPENDENCE...and Avid doesn't have it. One reason FCP was high on my list of favorite editing App. Adobe Premiere does this...but not Avid. Not unless you use Avid FX like mentioned.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:45:50 pm

I agree with Shane that this is resolution independence, but... it's not like 1080 is not supported already for this particular situation. It would be a simple property to the clip to ignore the automatic scaling and extract or pan&scan the SD frame from within the 1080 frame. I say simple, but there's probably a lot of work to be done in the architecture. But the Pan & Scan (reformat) effect has a lot of this in place already.

Michael

Return to posts index

David Hammer
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:06:02 pm

Thanks all for the good info – confirmed my conclusions about this issue. Too bad Avid doesn't make this easy the way FCP does – looks like it's AE for me...

Best,
David

David Hammer
Brightwood Studios
david@brightwoodstudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]