FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM quicktime MOVs within a Windows system can I AMA Link MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
XDCAM quicktime MOVs within a Windows system can I AMA Link MC6
on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:24:23 pm

Does anyone know if XDCAM movs can be AMA linked into MC6 when running it on a Windows Enviorment. I know it can in on a Mac but not sure about Windows.

We are looking at a workflow where we get a PC with AVID to ingest all of are media instead of using one of our actuall edit bays. The workflow would be create a Avid project on to a partitioned NAS storage. Then AMA link in the footage (mostly XDCAM movs from a NANOflash) then Consolidate/transcoded the footage to the Avid Media Files on the same partitioned NAS space. from there the Editors could either open up the project or just open the bins as needed.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: XDCAM quicktime MOVs within a Windows system can I AMA Link MC6
on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:39:13 am

I THINK I understand what you're trying to do, and it should work just fine. We employ a similar workflow on my current show.

Just some questions:
- you say you want to AMA link "XDCAM movs" but actually XDCAM shoots MXF files. Are you saying you want to convert to MOV first? The raw files are MXF, and this does make a difference in the workflow.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:50:27 am

We use a nano flash external recorders ( made by convergent designs) for all our cameras, which records in the xdcam format as mov or mxf, but there is quite the documented issues with the mxf wrap files working with avid. (issues on convergents end). Plus we still do some projects in Fcp. So working with the native nano flash files wraped in mov is win win. And this workflow works swell In the Mac world. Mainly because Fcp gives you the encode and decoded abilities for xdcam in a mov wrapper. I figured that working in a windows world might be problematic as Fcp can't be installed and therefore not give you the xdcam mov abilities. I know this is true for adobe products on a windows machine, but I'm not clear if avid with AMA plugins gives makes it possible.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:45:47 pm

Last I remember, MC6 can AMA link XDCAM MOVs, but you will not be able to consolidate them. You will have to transcode - which will take infinitely longer than just a consolidate.

I hope I am wrong, but I believe that's the case.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:51:03 am

You're wrong.
Just ran a test on 5.5 and it works.
However, on consolidate you might have to uncheck the 'skip files on target disc', if both AMA clips and target Avid Mediafiles are on the same disc.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]