FORUMS: list search recent posts

Salvaging an AVID project that needs to move to Premiere, replace .mxf

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Barclift
Salvaging an AVID project that needs to move to Premiere, replace .mxf
on Aug 18, 2012 at 4:45:17 am

I am working on a web series, and I cut one episode in AVID because I wanted to re-learn the program. I didn't really understand the workflow, so I ended up with .mxf files.

When I exported from .mxf, there was significant quality loss from the original footage.

I've moved away from the producers, so I need to move the project to premiere so that I can email the project file. I don't have the original tapes, but I do have the footage in a mix of .avi and .mov files. The .avi and .mov are from a different capture and not the same length as the .mxf files, but the same footage is in there.

I tried saving the AVID project as a .aaf and opening in Premiere, but it can't read .mxf so it says everything is offline.

I'm wondering the best way to rescue my project. It seems like if I could import the .avi and .mov files into AVID and then make subclips the same length as the .mxf files and replace the .mxf with those subclips, I could then import the project into Premiere.

I'm not sure how to do this. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Salvaging an AVID project that needs to move to Premiere, replace .mxf
on Aug 18, 2012 at 4:58:50 am

Try exporting an AAF from Avid and importing it into Premiere. It's supposed to work - I've never gotten it to work, but it's supposed to.

Do you have access to FCP? You can sometimes export an AAF from Avid, use AutomaticDuck to import that AAF into FCP (it's free now from AutomaticDuck.com), then export an XML from FCP and import that into Premiere. Ports the project over. You may need to manually relink things though.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Nick Barclift
on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:24:37 am

Hey Michael

I mentioned that I did try that, but the problem is that the stuff in my AVID timeline is reading from .mxf files, and premiere doesn't read those. I need to change the .mxf with raw footage from another capture, but I don't know how to switch the footage.

A straight swap is a problem too in that it would be out of sync because the different captures didn't start on the same frame. It is easy to make subclips that do start on the same frame, but I don't know how to replace footage with a subclip.

Man, that's wordy. Chart version, I need:

raw .avi footage --->subclip--->replace .mxf that subclip now matches--->.aaf---->premiere

I don't have final cut. Oh, and I was checking back because I forgot to say, MC 6 and CS 5.5.

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:48:48 am

Have you explored this yet?

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/products.asp

Return to posts index

Nick Barclift
on Aug 19, 2012 at 4:00:33 am

Tried installing calibrated Q. It didn't work, but maybe that's because it was the demo version.

It did make Premiere think it could read the .mxf files even though it didn't result in footage playback. It also seems to have messed up images loading in Safari.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this and just go with a shot by shot reconstruction of the Avid cut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]