FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook Pro specs to handle MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Donahue
Macbook Pro specs to handle MC6
on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:23:51 pm

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 17" Macbook Pro for Avid MC 6 and would like to make certain that the specs of the computer will handle the software. The computer's specs are:

• 2.4GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core
• 4GB of DDR3 RAM
• 750GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
• AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB Graphics

Will the graphics card handle MC6? Also, wouldn't the computer need 8GB of RAM?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Paul Donahue
Media Eye
http://www.mediaeyemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Macbook Pro specs to handle MC6
on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:29:37 pm

Go with 8GB of RAM and get the SSD drive instead of the 5400RPM drive. The SSD drive is lightning fast and the 8GB of RAM helps with everything else. The graphics card will be fine.

We have a new 15" Macbook Pro (non-retina) with 8GB of RAM and the SSD and it's smoking fast. Beats the crap out of our 8-core MacPro towers from 2008 (and they have 16GB of RAM).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 17, 2012 at 10:30:31 pm

I have what Michael has...but no SSD, just the stock system drive. 2012 MacBook Pro (non-retina), 15"...2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM...and I special ordered it with a high res MATTE display, because I despise glossy screens, and I want the high res display for possible RESOLVE. Mainly because I hate glossy.

I've cut two longform shows on it, and will be diving into my third. they are 44:30, but one started out at 57:00! I had a lot to cut out.

Anyway, handled it with ease. MUCH superior to my 2008 MacPro with 16GB of RAM and a special NVIdia card (285). Looks like that will be relegated to email...and to grading in Color or Resolve...or as a server.

This laptop is my go to machine now. Never thought I'd use a laptop for longform editing, yet, here I am.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:49:24 pm

I'm jealous of your screen. I had to have the laptop for an out of town job and had about 3 days to get it ordered and software installed and the high resolution screen, matte or glossy, were on backorder. I just hooked up to an external onsite but I certainly miss the extra resolution when the extra screen isn't available.

And DaVinci won't run on the low res screen at all without a hack. Haven't tried DaVinci 9 Beta on it - they may have fixed that. It is crazy how fast the things are though, isn't it?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:51:23 pm

I can export H.264s with burned in timecode faster than real time. Note that I chose FAST EXPORT and they are low quality, only for producers to watch and give notes. But dang, faster than real time. And I don't even render the timecode window!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Paul Donahue
on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:48:57 am

I've read that the 17" MacBooks handle 1920x1200 Native Resolution. What exactly does that mean? Is it the case that the 15" cannot play this at all?

I envision using the laptop when I am on the road. For at home I would hook it to an Eizo S2420W monitor that handles 1920x1200 but is only 32-Bit Color. Is this monitor going to be a problem?

Paul Donahue
Media Eye

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:42:59 pm

[Paul Donahue] "17" MacBooks handle 1920x1200 Native Resolution. What exactly does that mean?"

That means that the resolution they can display is one you typically see in a 24" computer display. Just means it's really high.

[Paul Donahue] "Is it the case that the 15" cannot play this at all?"

Play what? Play what at all? What are you talking about?

[Paul Donahue] "For at home I would hook it to an Eizo S2420W monitor that handles 1920x1200 but is only 32-Bit Color. Is this monitor going to be a problem?"

Problem for what? I don't get what you are talking about. These are display resolutions...and they work to show you what you are doing, can the larger the resolution, the more fits on your screen. I don't get what you are asking...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:26:24 pm

[Shane Ross] "[Paul Donahue] "Is it the case that the 15" cannot play this at all?"

Play what? Play what at all? What are you talking about?"

I think he means can the 15" play a 1920x1080 file. Yes it can but it's scaled to fit the resolution of the 15".

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Paul Donahue
on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:11:46 pm

Dear Shane and Michael,

I realize now that my questions were a little stupid. Now I understand that a 1920x1200 file is scaled to fit the resolution of the 15." I also thought that because MC6 was a 64 bit program that it might not play properly on a 32 bit color monitor. I thought that I might have to replace the monitor which would be a relief not to do.

Do you happen to know if there's any value to the expansion slot on the 17" model that is an Express34 slot? It seems to allow you to plug in expensive peripherals and given how well the 15" model works for you, there doesn't seem to be any great need for it.

Paul

Paul Donahue
Media Eye

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:25:16 am

Paul

Get yourself the AJA ioXT or a Matrox MXO2 device. You have more options with Matrox. Output your video video HDMI from the IO device to a TV monitor. Don't use a computer monitor to judge your output.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 21, 2012 at 3:21:15 am

We cut years of work on Avid MC on a 2010 uni 17" 8GB RAM/7200RPM drive MBP. Before that it was the 2009 early uni 17".
Im not sure if we're up to doing this with a reg 15" so it might have to be retina and a second display.
The express slot was loaded with GTECH miniRAIDs eSATA.
I tell you, that made cutting a 70 XDCAM disc project plausible with AMA.
made the mistake of importing AMA and not transcoding for a few months.
bit of a nightmare during MC 4.x.

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:33:38 pm

This thread has been very helpful to me, thank you. I'm looking to purchase a MB Pro and to switch to Avid - but have been trying to figure out what the specs need to be for it to run smoothly. Some people have said that only a desktop system will provide the needed power, but I really need the portability of a laptop. At the same time, I don't want a system that is slow. Welcome any further suggestions. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]