FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nitris and XDCAM EX

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Nathaniel
Nitris and XDCAM EX
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:19:57 pm

In the Symphony manual, it says

"Due to the design of the Nitris input/output hardware, playback of XDCAM or XDCAM EX media on an Avid Symphony using Nitris causes dropped frames. To allow for full performance playback, transcode the XDCAM media into DNxHD media to play the video on your Avid Symphony system with Avid Nitris input/output hardware."

But in Symphony 6.0.3 there is a transcode option to go to "XDCAM EX 35 Mbits MXF" which I believe just rewraps the Quicktime .mov XDCAM EX files that I've been supplied to MXF wrapper. I believe this better utilizes Avid's Media management, and improves performance. However, now that it is MXF, does that mean the Nitris hardware won't drop frames, or again is the XDCAM codec the issue, and therefore it would still be best to transcode to DNxHD.

I always feel like I'm asking an elementary question. Sorry if that's so.

Ernie

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Nitris and XDCAM EX
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:35:24 pm

There is more to it than simply being rewrapped as MXF media. The biggest issue with XDCAM EX, is that it is a Long GOP format. It's heavily compressed, and requires a lot of system resources to playback. For the purpose of online, you will be far better off compressing to an I-frame format like the DNxHD formats.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Ernie Nathaniel
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:44:43 pm

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification Richard.

Ernie

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:03:25 pm

Anytime!

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved