FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC5.5 Only consolidate half the clips!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hampus Lager
MC5.5 Only consolidate half the clips!
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:20:15 am

Hi

I shoot a music video last weekend and began post yesterday by importing the clips via AMA and then consolidate them. This is my usual process since I link back to AMA at the end to finish in another software.

We used several cameras, Sony EX's, Panasonic, but also a GH2 (hacked with FlowMotion), a GoPro Hero 2 and a smaller Sony consumer video camera. Sony and Panasonic consolidated fine. But since the GH2 is AVCHD I had to transcode before with MPEG Streamclip to DNxHD. Same with the GoPro.

AMA and test playback, no problem. Start consolidate and about half the clips we're skipped because of a "foreign compression format". What?! It's the same as the clips that were consolidated.

I tested "fast import" and sure enough, it works. But I really need the link back to AMA.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: MC5.5 Only consolidate half the clips!
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:29:30 pm

Not sure what happens, but be afraid of GoPro and AMA relink after a transcode.
Sometimes you have an 'off by one' error, and you won't be able to relink to the AMA clips (got the T-shirt, and it was not pretty...)
Why do you need to relink back so badly? DNxHD is a good enough codec, and your cams don't seem to be that high-end.
I would suggest finding another route to go to 'the other' software, at least for the problematic clips.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]