FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 says "invalid file name" when trying to import .mov (DNxHD converted from AVCHD)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Christie
MC6 says "invalid file name" when trying to import .mov (DNxHD converted from AVCHD)
on Aug 14, 2012 at 2:32:54 pm

I have AVCHD camera and I’m using MC6 and AMA. Before I had my workflow down, I copied-n-pasted AVCHD files from my SD cards to my HDD.

Although I was able to play these files using VLC player, I’m unable to link these through AMA, and on an ASC I was told the reason AMA won't recognise them, is because they are not on an SD card anymore; I didn't ingest them properly from the card (therefore without Transcoding them to DNxHD through Avid). Avid support suggested I use Squeeze to converter these AVCHD files to DNxHD .MOVs to remove the interpolation. Great!

I didn't appreciate that Squeeze 8.1 doesn't do this out of the box and the plug-in is $99, therefore I looked around for a cheaper encoder and found Aunsoft AVCHD encoder had great reviews and was much cheaper. I then used a trial Aunsoft to converter my AVCHD files into DNxHD .MOVs.

However, now that I’ve converter the files, Avid doesn’t want to import them displaying error message, “Invalid file name”, not sure why because they have .mov postfix as they are supposed to..?

I’ll buy Squeeze AVCHD to DNxHD plug-in if necessary, but I am worried in case after another $99 I'll experience the same problem?

Any one know what’s happening?

Kind regards and thanks in advance
Antony

2 x Sony NEX-FS100E's
Mac Pro (early 2009) 2 x 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors, 12GB of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory, 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory. Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4.
Avid Media Composer 6.0.1, Pro Tools 10,

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: MC6 says "invalid file name" when trying to import .mov (DNxHD converted from AVCHD)
on Aug 14, 2012 at 3:18:51 pm

You still have the camera? If you do, you might try shooting a single clip and copying that to recreate the drive structure. It's necessary that they be on the card, but you do have to copy the entire card structure.

Regarding the invalid file name, do you have a slash in the name of the files, or are the files in a folder with a slash in the name? (Such as a date 8/14 or such?) Slashes are a no no.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Antony Christie
Installed DNxHD AMA but get error message, "Unable to link to any clips at /Volumes/AVCHD/DNxHD MOVs/2407 shoot/240712"
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:13:15 am

Thanks Richard

I had already tried recreating the drive structure folders and any hidden files to link to it using AMA for AVCHD but with no joy I'm afraid.

The guy who took my complimentary Avid Support Code call suggested this but gave up trying several different approaches as at the time the aim was l find out best practices for AMA workflow.

He suggested I get the Squeeze DNxHD plug-in and transcode the files, then import them. I ended up biting the bullet and shelled out $100 so I could do this.

I transcoded to DNxHD 145 (the lowest quality option). However, now when I try and import the files I see there are multiple files in each folder Squeeze created (see attached Screen Shot) and there are so many options it makes it difficult to know what to import. I then installed DNxHD AMA and tried using AMA instead of importing but get error message, "Unable to link to any clips at /Volumes/AVCHD/DNxHD MOVs/2407 shoot/240712 prime/0000_DNxHD_145/".

You were right; about the files were in a folder with a slash in the name by the way. Thanks!

toe-knee

2 x Sony NEX-FS100E's
Mac Pro (early 2009) 2 x 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors, 12GB of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory, 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory. Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: MC6 says "invalid file name" when trying to import .mov (DNxHD converted from AVCHD)
on Aug 14, 2012 at 3:49:52 pm

Richard meant it is not necessary they be on the card but the folder structure must be maintained. Rename the files with shorter, more simple names, as he said, slashes are no-no's - use underscores if needed.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Antony Christie
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:48:23 pm

Hi fellas

I'm afraid the filename is 000000.mov. I have already tried changing them to test1.mov but still no joy.

I'll try the folder structure thing, to see if I can do just AVCHD AMA import them.

Thanks for your replies
Antony

2 x Sony NEX-FS100E's

Return to posts index

Antony Christie
on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:25:57 am

Hi Ricky

Thanks for the clarification. Yes; I tried this (again) last night but still no joy.

Now that I've invested in Sqeeze AVCHD plug-in, and installed DNxHD AMA the problem has moved on a bit (see above).

Thanks for you're help
Toe-knee

2 x Sony NEX-FS100E's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]