FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shift Delete without IN and OUT points ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Shift Delete without IN and OUT points ?
on Aug 13, 2012 at 1:21:44 am

I'm in the process of switching from FCP to Avid, sorry if this question has a simple answer.

I understand that shift deleting clips in a timeline is done by the (default) X key. But what if I simply highlight/mark the clip and press X? Nothing is happening (for me) accept that computer error sound. The only way I can shift delete is to make IN and OOUT points - is this correct? Is this the only way to shift delete? What am I missing? I feel it would make me faster if I could mark a clip then just hit X.

I'm on AMC 5.5.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Shift Delete without IN and OUT points ?
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:54:59 am

just press the delete button. If you have a bunch of effects, it will delete those on the first pass. If it is just a clean clip, it will delete that. You can also draw a box with the shift key held down to multiselect clips, then press the delete button. The box has to be done from the right to the left, and only the clips totally
surrounded by the box will be selected.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:49:43 pm

Having transitioned from Final Cut myself, it sound like you're trying to force Avid to work like Final Cut and I'd urge you to not do that. If you hit t with the playhead on the clip, and only that clip selected, then it will mark in and out points around it. If you hit Z, that will lift it out (leaving filler)m or if you hit X, it will extract it (rippling all clips to the right). Activating tracks in Avid are like auto-selections in Final Cut, and sync locks (those slashes next to activated tracks) will dictate which tracks merge together when a splice or extraction happens.

Big thing is, Avid is modal. When you're in Source / Record, it's generally keyboard based as opposed to mouse based. If you hit the yellow or red arrows in the smart tool, you're in segment mode (which essentially Final Cut is always in this type of setup), go into effects mode to modify effects (and in Final Cut, which has inherent attributes like scale and position, Avid does not. If you want to scale or reposition your clips, 3D warp is the tool you want to use). Finally there is Color Correction Mode, and that one is pretty self explanatory.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 14, 2012 at 12:32:48 am

I've narrowed my issue down a little more, or at least I think I've solved it.

X as a shift-delete was only working if I had the clip isolated by IN and OUT points. When I was marking my clip by pressing T, multiple clips were being marked, but I realized these clips were not placed in my timeline with audio, so I had to deactivate my audio tracks, then mark the clip, then hit X to shift delete.

Seems a bit round about, no?

Obviously I've gotten this down to not have to use my mouse, which I love, but is there a faster way to mark a clip and shift delete (without have to deactivate and then reactivate my audio tracks when I don't have audio associated with a clip or video where I have audio)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 14, 2012 at 1:50:33 pm

Have you tried selecting your clips and then hitting the delete button?

Also, I think i had my left and right backwards when i wrote that last post, drag your box from the left to the right to multi select clips.

You can also multi select a wide range, then unselect the ones you don't want with the control button...or is it the shift button? not in front of the avid right now.

If you have drawn a large box to select clips, and get video or audio tracks you don't want included, you can deselect those tracks and they won't be highlighted any more, the the selected ones will stay highlighted. (hold shift before deselecting tracks and you can just swipe down the list to deselect them as you go.

Glenn

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:08:44 am

what the heck is "shift delete" anyway? Must be a FCP thing. All shift + delete does in the PC world is delete files at the desktop level without sending them to the recycle bin.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 15, 2012 at 9:04:45 pm

Not Shift + Delete. I want to delete something in the timeline and have the footage shift/move down leaving no gap.

All I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to "shift delete" a clip that doesn't have audio tracks below/attached to it without having to deactivate the tracks in the timeline.

My example, that I'm trying to explain, is that I want to "X" delete a clip that happens to not have audio tracks below/attached to it. I can't just mark the clip with "T" because the In and Out points revert to other areas of the timeline that have audio tracks. So then I have to press "I" and "O" directly around my clip without audio tracks, then I also have to deactivate the audio tracks in the timeline in order for the "X" delete to work.

Does that make sense? I feel this is too many keystrokes compared to what I am used to in FCP. So, is there a way to do this with less roundabout keystrokes? Is there a setting I should change? What am I missing? I'm just trying to make myself faster in this respect.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 16, 2012 at 1:58:46 pm

there is no "close gap" function. If you have a gap in the video, you have to place your bar in the gap, press the t button to select that gap, (assuming only video is selected) and hit the X button.

You want to park your bar on a clip, press your in and out mark "t" button, and not have the in and out
be wider than the clip you are parked on. correct? The in and out is wider because you have your audio track selected when you are pressing the "t" button, and your audio clip is different than your video clip, or you would get the same problem if you have more than 1 video track selected. The box is basically trying to find (based on your track selections) where the next instance of an in and out would be that covers all your selected tracks.
You mention that later you deselect the audio before hitting the extract button. Try deselecting the audio
before you hit the T button. That should at least mark your in and out correctly.

I'm still not sure if you are trying to delete the audio under the clip or you are trying to get the audio to lock, but only have the video extract and shorten.

i should add, although i've never been a huge final cut fan, the close gap function was one of those functions that when i first used it , i said. "that I like!"

Glenn

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 16, 2012 at 2:41:57 pm

So I'm just talking about a video clip with no audio below/attached to it. So I understand that I have to deactivate that main audio tracks in order for "T" to work the way I want to.

So basically you're saying there is no way of not having to deactivate the audio tracks when I want to quickly "T" mark a clip and "X" delete (shifting) a video clip?

Sorry this has taken so many words and clarification to explain this.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:17:00 pm

Like Glen mentioned you can perform a ripple delete by selecting any clip on the timeline then hitting delete or the backspace key, you just have to make sure the Extract/Splice in button of the smart tool (broken yellow arrow) is active. If only the Lift/Overwrite button (Red Arrow) is active, delete/backspace will lift the clip, if both are active delete/backspace defaults to the Lift/Overwrite button. If there is an effect on the clip, you will have to have to hit delete a couple of times, as you have to delete the effect first.

As long as the clip isn't linked to an audio clip only the video clips on that track will ripple back and you won't have to select/deselect any tracks.

You just have to be aware that if you have clips on another track they won't ripple back, so you'll have to mark and extract.

Hope that make sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]