FORUMS: list search recent posts

Title video codec not matching footage codec

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Title video codec not matching footage codec
on Aug 6, 2012 at 2:12:03 am

I'm in the process of learning/transitioning to Avid, and here's what I'm in the middle of trying to figure out:

I transcoded h.264 1920x1080 29.97 files to DNxHD 220 X (HD1080p). I've edited a sequence with them, and added a title using the title tool. I saved the title and looking at the Video information in the bin, it says the codec is DNxHD 145 (HD1080p). Why is that, and how do I fix this so the titles I create are the same codec? Also, I noticed my timeline does not list a Video type - why is that, and how do I know what I'm editing in?

Understanding Avid's codecs is something I'm trying to grasp, so any information is appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
Re: Title video codec not matching footage codec
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:14:52 am

Hey Rosie,

If you don't mind me asking, why did you transcode everything, and not just import all your clips via AMA link to, edit and then output. Just curious.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Leader
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:33:16 am

I watched a tutorial that showed an h.264 workflow (not AMA) and transcoding was part of it. I figured it was a good practice, but I'd really like to know the most commonly used professional process. (I've only ever had to load P2 into Avid in a pro environment.)

I've also been reading that AMA can have issues reconnecting down the line?

Is it okay to edit h.264 in Avid? What if you're editing with varying codecs?

And still my question is about the titling being a different Video type.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:35:41 am

[Rosie Walunas] "Is it okay to edit h.264 in Avid? What if you're editing with varying codecs?"

I'd transcode. H264 will perform poorly on many systems. You might get away with a few shots here and there, but overall, its still best to transcode H264. You'll do fine with other codecs, like XDCAM HD.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:33:47 am

[Rosie Walunas] "I saved the title and looking at the Video information in the bin, it says the codec is DNxHD 145 (HD1080p). Why is that, and how do I fix this so the titles I create are the same codec?"

Select the resolution of your choice in the Media Creation Settings next time. To fix it, set an in and out around your entire sequence and select "Recreate Title Media" in the Clip menu. You should get a dialog where you can select a new resolution.

[Rosie Walunas] " Also, I noticed my timeline does not list a Video type - why is that, and how do I know what I'm editing in?"

No such thing as "video type" for a sequence. Avid can have many resolutions and codecs in one sequence. You must, however, pay attention to what you have selected in the format tab of the project window. This is where your frame size and frame rate are determined for the entire project. Note that you can change it as needed.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:47:16 am

I see, got it. Great, thank you.

Still have to wrap my head around Avid's codecs, but I'm off to an okay start.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:30:03 pm

Just to throw my hat into the ring...transcoding was a good thing. Trying to edit H.264 in Avid for anything longer than 1 min will be problematic...slow and cumbersome. Avid isn't designed to work with H.264 files...it is designed to work with Avid media. AMA allows ACCESS to certain footage types., and most of them should be transcoded.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:31:14 pm

..Aaaand...it is best to IMPORT Quicktime files like H.264 and ProRes as you have better control over the color space:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/877605

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:41:38 pm

Interesting. I think I need more information about importing verses AMA linking. Any other links to check out?

Thank you for all this information. It's really great.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:52:36 pm

I just kept hearing this being said, here and on the Avid help forums. And since Michael Phillips used to work at Avid, for YEARS, I trust what he says. Plus he edits too...so he was in both worlds, so he has practical experience as well.

This is mentioned by others on the Avid forums, by Avid employees. Too busy to find links, I have that one bookmarked for times that this question comes up.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:00:08 pm

Alright, got it. Thank you. I'll look that info up.

Any other info for any of my questions/points always appreciated!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:12:20 pm

[Shane Ross] "..Aaaand...it is best to IMPORT Quicktime files like H.264 and ProRes as you have better control over the color space:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/877605
"

everything i’ve read and in my experiences, this is quite the opposite for me.

When i import, say a h264 from a canon 5d, using 601/709 the files just dont look right, really contrasty as if someone already tried to do a poor color pass already.

If i link via AMA and transcode, the files look exactly the same and takes less time than importing, then i export a same as source or quicktime reference file as RGB and it looks just as it should.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]