<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Mahoney
How to you export XDCAM .mov from DS
on Aug 1, 2012 at 8:20:20 pm

I have been asked to deliver footage from my DS system in the following format:

Format: Quicktime .mov
Codec: XDCAM 422 i60 50Mbps
1920x1080

Is there any way to encode to this format in Windows? I've tried Calibrated, XDCAM browser, Sorenson, and Adobe's CS5.5 programs, but the option just isn't there like it is on an FCP machine. Is it even doable in Windows?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nik

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: How to you export XDCAM .mov from DS
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:02:21 pm

The XDCAM quicktime codec is a part of the AppleHDVCodec.component that is installed when Final Cut Pro is installed. If you have access to system with both Avid and Final Cut installed, you can set up an export setting to export to an XDCAM quicktime. You could also export a same as source Quicktime out of the Avid and bring that file to compressor on a system that has Final Cut Pro in order to do that. That's how I've done it in the past. I know Calibrated will decode XDCAM, but I don't know if it will encode XDCAM.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Nik Mahoney
on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:46:13 pm

Calibrated won't encode as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I need to do this on a Windows system so FCP isn't an option.

We have a FCP system in house that can do the transcode but we are trying to find a better, faster solution so that we can stay on the DS machine. But in the FCP vein, one thing we're looking at is sending it to HDCAM and then recapturing in XDCAM on the FCP machine.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 3, 2012 at 8:38:54 am

Not sure about DS, but MC can export to XDcam.
(copy the contents of an empty xdcam drive to the root of a drive to fool avid it's an XDcam drive)

Then you end up with an MXF.
The XDcam tranfer tool (free from sony) can re-wrap this to a QT file.
(you need to do this on mac)
If you want to stay on Windows, you can use FFmpeg / FFmbc to re-wrap as well (and in fact it can encode it if needed)

If DS can't write to XDcam, FCP can, if the xdcam transfer tool is installed. No need for a tape roundtrip, just export a clip and import in FCP...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]