FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid suddenly not reading Adrenaline...?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dionne Knapp
Avid suddenly not reading Adrenaline...?
on Jul 30, 2012 at 5:41:45 pm

I'm using Avid Media composer 5 and I suddenly can't switch over from "1394" to "DNA" so that I can capture from the deck.

It does recognize when I put a tape in the deck (scans it, ask for tape name, etc...) but in order to capture I have to click the "1394" which then changes to DNA...only now its not changing.

I haven't made any changes to my settings or anything and everything is connected. Is it just not reading the adrenaline now for some reason?

I thought maybe I would try re-installing the driver but I don't even see it in Device Manager. All that's under "Sound, video and game controllers" are: AUDIO CODECS, LEGACY AUDIO DRIVERS, LEGACY VIDEO CAPTURE DEVICES, MEDIA CONTROL DEVICES, SOUNDMAX INTEGRATED DIGITAL AUDIO, and VIDEO CODECS"

Nothing that says "AVID TECHNOLOGY ADRENALINE..."

So does that mean I'm suddenly missing the driver? If so, how do I get it back?

As you can see, I just USE Avid, I'm no good at troubleshooting hardware issues...

It would be great if someone could help me with this because I'm now having to capture directly from the camera -which is murder on it as far as wear & Tear... :(

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Avid suddenly not reading Adrenaline...?
on Jul 30, 2012 at 6:10:42 pm

Since you mentioned device manager, I'm going to assume that you're using a PC. Have you tried plugging the Adrenaline into a different firewire port? It's possible your port is being funny.

What operating system, and what computer are you using? Any information on your system will help. If you suspect a missing driver, it might not be a bad idea to uninstall media composer, restart your system and then reinstall it.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Dionne Knapp
on Jul 30, 2012 at 9:18:25 pm

Argh! Now I can't even get the camera to show up when directly connected via fire wire Super Angry

Now I have to capture vi some other program like Nero, CONVERT, then import into Avid.

The camera I'm capturing from is a Sony Model No. HRV-A1U. DO I need to TELL Aid to capture from that? It usually recognizes right away when I connect a device...

I'm running Windows XP Pro for OS. Here's my info under "System Information (minus System & Username):

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model hp workstation xw8000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3065 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3065 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. JQ.W1.13US, 4/19/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.32
Windows Directory C:WINDOWS
System Directory C:WINDOWSsystem32
Boot Device DeviceHarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name XXXXXXXXXX
Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.21 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.64 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.60 GB
Page File Space 3.91 GB
Page File C:pagefile.sys

Here's the device Manager info:

Sound, Video and Game Controllers:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Video Codecs

I will try just switching the Adrenaline firewire to another port- just to rule that out. I don't see anything about "Avid Technology Adrenaline" in the Device manager...does that mean the problem could be a missing driver? Why would it disappear so suddenly and how do I get it back?

I hate to have to uninstall/re-install Avid as I have a lot of saved projects that I don't want to lose- There's a weekly news segment that all I have to do is change the b-roll and VO ...the rest of the CG's (which took me a while to create) are static on the timeline so I don't have to redo them every segment. Blah! Is there a way I can back up/store my bins and projects so they will open in the re-install without me having to do all that work again?

The other producer uses a Mac and Final Cut- and we DO have an extra Mac workstation- I can just install Final Cut there and use that but I'd have to start fresh with everything AND I'm really more of a PC/Avid person..I'd have to take even MORE time re- familiarizing myself with FC and Mac... Sad

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:08:31 pm

Unistalling the software will not delete your projects. If you save your projects somewhere other than the default directories, you'll have to repoint the Avid to see those, but it won't delete projects. Also, if you are connecting your camera to your computer at the same time that your Adrenaline is plugged, then your computer being angry is completely to be expected. The Adrenline needs to be the only firewire device connected onto one bus. That's why most facilities I've worked at have a pci-e firewire card so that they can also connect firewire hard drives and such.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:52:37 pm

Don't be afraid to uninstall. Think of all the time you've spent trying to fix the problem so far...then think of those 5 to 10 mins it will take to un-install and re-install Avid.

It will not delete any projects.

I have 1 system still using an Adrenaline. When it gets flaky it is usually because of the firewire needing a kick in the but. If you turn off the Adrenaline does the pc make the "dunk dunk" sound? You should hear that on power down, and about 10 secs after power up. If not, check your cable, and yes, as Richard said, unplug your other firewire devices.

Also check for the splash screen on your external monitor after power up. That is provided by the Adrenaline. If it is there, the Adrenaline is working.

If those don't work, re-install.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Jul 31, 2012 at 4:36:29 pm

Bottom line is that Windows has to be able to see the Adrenaline before Media Composer will. The part of the un-install/re-install process that may make a difference is the re-installation of the firewire driver, IF Windows can see the hardware. BUT, if there is a problem with the cable, port, or Adrenaline that keeps Windows from seeing that the hardware is attached, the driver will not actually be installed.

Unplugging all other firewire devices is a good place to start. I recently had to unplug an Adrenaline in order to connect to a firewire HDV camera for one of our producers. Even though the camera and Adrenaline were on separate firewire busses (not ports), there was still some contention between the devices.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]