FORUMS: list search recent posts

Source Tape Name (via AMA)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raivan Hall
Source Tape Name (via AMA)
on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:20:02 am

Hello People,

Quick question here- Does assigning ama files a source tape name (before transcoding them) alter your original source footage in any way (be it h.264/Red/P2 media)? Or is this "source tape name" meta data only being used within the Avid project file?

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Source Tape Name (via AMA)
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:08:58 am

It does not alter the source file. Only the master clip that Avid creates from it. I've used this workflow to offline and later online with XDCAM. As long as you organize your footage so that you know what tape name you've assigned, you'll be fine.

This is a workflow guide I made from a show using this precise workflow. Hope it helps!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20021366/Avid%20Workflow%20Docs/Hotel%20Hell%20Wor...

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:28:36 am

Much appreciated! I'm working with 2TB of Canon H.264 footage and it's a bit scary figuring it out. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:34:47 am

what version of Avid MC are you working with?

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:36:50 am

Currently working with 5.5.3. Also, if you're using the 5D, the Mark III embeds TOD timecode into the quicktime files, but if you're using the Mark II, I'd recommend QT Change to embed timecode into your files.

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:38:55 am

I've heard about QTChange. But if you're assigning a "tape source"- is that not good enough? Have you ever had the experience of assigning a tape source and that not working once you need to relink/uprez/online?

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:41:06 am

fyi- I'm using Canon 60d footage on MC 6 (latest iteration).

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:42:29 am

Not positive about the 60D. When you import the quicktime files, do they all start at 00:00:00:00? Of course, if that camera doesn't generate THM files it won't matter.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:41:05 am

The tape source can be added in the Avid, but the most important thing QT Change will do is it will embed the timecode from the THM file into the quicktime file. You'll notice if you import or AMA those Quicktime files right off the bat, all of their starting time codes will be 00:00:00:00 but if you use QT change, you will get time of day timecode which is very useful.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:44:29 am

I'd love to use QT Change, but it's just a time issue right now. I need to finish this project asap. How long does it take for QT Change to add timecode on a 10min clip for example?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:46:16 am

About 2-3 seconds. It's worth it.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:47:16 am

Nice. I'll do it then...

Return to posts index

Raivan Hall
on Jul 26, 2012 at 2:12:45 am

Richard,

In the upressing section of your workflow guide you mention mixed frame rates. I have iPhone footage and Canon 60d footage on this edit. The third camera of a 3 camera interview is an iPhone. I want to create grouped clips of the 3 camera interviews and quickly edit with them, but what about the 29.976 iPhone footage? Is the proper procedure to transcode the iPhone's 29.976 HD footage in a 29.976 project and then open the bins of that project and copy the clips into my 23.976 project? Will grouping mixed frame rate clips screw everything up?

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:06:33 pm

You can't group mixed frame rates. If you try to transcode 29.97 material in a 23.976 project, it will warn you that it will create 23.976 media from your 29.97 material but you will not be able to relink it via AMA or batch import it. So if you transcode it at hi res with no intention of ever relinking, you'll be fine. A better solution would be to take your quicktime files (or I think the iPhone 4 shoots m4v) and run them through either MPEG Streamclip or Compressor. Convert the frame rate there, which will produce a 23.976 quicktime that you can import into the Avid, and can be matched back later if you need.

On Hotel Hell, we didn't convert via compressor because our masters were shot on XDCAM, so in order to maintain matchability, we would have had to got our XDCAM disks converted via some hardware solution. Keep in mind, when you use MPEG stream clip, it will get rid of your timecode, and compressor isn't alway totally accurate in maintaining timecode, especially when frame rates change. Fortunately, the iPhone isn't really tracking timecode so that's less of a worry.

Moral of the story, mixed frame rates bad. Mixed frame rates, very bad.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Katerina Borys
on Aug 23, 2014 at 8:06:25 am

Hi Richard,

I am using QT Change for the first time and am a little worried I have missed something.
I am using QT Change to add Reel names and TCs to GoPro footage to then edit in Avid 7. In QT Change I can see the files have Reel Names and Timecode associated with them, however when I bring them into Avid there is no Tape name present in the "Tape" column. However, the information is apparent in the "Source file" column. I am confused to whether these two elements are the same. I do not want to cause problems when outputing EDLs for grade/online etc.

The timecode on the other hand has worked perfectly.

Thank You,
Katerina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]