FORUMS: list search recent posts

LCD Monitor Latency - Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Olinger
LCD Monitor Latency - Avid
on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:36:47 am

Hello,

I`ve been digging up some older monitors to use on a "Harpertown" 2008 Mac Pro Avid I am putting together, and I wanted to check about video/audio sync latency when using Avid with LCD monitors.

Set up will be software only for the time being.

The monitor I have that I want to use, as my playback monitor, is a LG LCD monitor with a 2ms (grey to grey) latency.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005134

I believe a 2ms(GTG) translates to around 6ms.

I know that there that can be some video/audio sync issues when playing out an Avid timeline to an external LCD or Plasma client monitor with high levels of latency, but I`m wondering will I have to apply any audio delay compensation when using a single LCD monitor with 2ms (grey to grey) of latency?

I would be checking manual clapperboard syncs on this Avid set up, so I want to make sure the monitoring is accurate.

Audio monitoring would be headphones plugged into the Mac Pro.

Any insight or monitor recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: LCD Monitor Latency - Avid
on Jul 24, 2012 at 8:17:39 am

Get a SynCheck II device, and measure the delay. It's not so much the latency of the screen, but the delay in the processing of an incoming video signal. SynCheck will tell you how many ms of delay is happening. I would defintely apply an audio delay in your monitoring. In the past, I have use the Behringer Sharks DP110's for that, and also a Felston DD540 (digital). Now I'm using a Denon AV7100 pre-amp that has a delay setting built in.

Return to posts index

Alex Olinger
Re: LCD Monitor Latency - Avid
on Jul 25, 2012 at 11:13:09 pm

Read up on the Syncheck III. Seems like just what I`m looking for.

Going to pick up one of those, along with the Denon AVR-1312 receiver, that also has millisecond adjustable audio delay built in.

One last question, on the Syncheck end of things... you use the average latency readout it provides for the audio delay, correct?

I had heard that the latency readouts do tend to vary ever so slightly between measurements, due to there being no genlock between the video and audio systems.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]