FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID and Premiere: Do They Play Nice?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany DeLillo
AVID and Premiere: Do They Play Nice?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:31:39 pm

I was with FCP, moved to Premiere, adding MC6 to the mix because I don't think Premiere can handle every job.

Right now I'm running a Mac Pro circa 2010 running OSX 10.6.8, Internal Apple SSD 500GB as my boot drive and a secondary 2TB to hold everything else. I have FCS3, CS6 and a slew of other programs on the SSD already.

I've read here and there that different environments for different NLEs is the best way to make them play along with each other. I'd either partition the current SSD or just purchase a third HD and use that exclusively as an AVID environment (probably something in the WD Caviar Black family). Would that be recommended or has software moved beyond those kinds of gotchas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: AVID and Premiere: Do They Play Nice?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:50:19 pm

Big thing is MC6 is not supported on 10.6.8. I've heard of plenty of people running it on 10.6.8, but you could potentially run into trouble.

For system requirements, check out the Avid compatibility matrix.

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/supportfiles/attach/mediacomposer_versionmatrix....

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:36:52 pm

I'm already aware of this and willing to upgrade if need be. Or perhaps I can get a second boot drive that is running OSX 10.7?

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50:41 pm

They work fine together software wise..

However.. depending on what I/O box you use you might run into trouble. For example Blackmagic boxes are working great in Media Composer now, but not so much in Premiere.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Jul 19, 2012 at 11:24:22 pm

Yeah.....unfortunately that's the box I'm saddled with. Blackmagic Decklink Studio. Decisions made in an FCP7-centric time. Glad to know the extra monitor I got mounted to the wall is useless for the time being.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 20, 2012 at 2:47:26 pm

[Brittany DeLillo] "Yeah.....unfortunately that's the box I'm saddled with. Blackmagic Decklink Studio. Decisions made in an FCP7-centric time. Glad to know the extra monitor I got mounted to the wall is useless for the time being.
"

Its not useless, but some were having problems when trying to view certain codecs with it, and premiere.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Jul 20, 2012 at 3:06:52 pm

Useless for the project I'm currently working on. I've had great success using it in other instances. Apologies for going off the cuff there... I guess I'll just have to trouble shoot some more with it.

But back to the topic at hand....

Premiere and AVID will coexist on the same boot drive and work fine together? No "wire-crossing"? Just trying to anticipate the problems before they arise...

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 20, 2012 at 4:57:21 pm

I'm running them both in 10.7.4 with perfect results. However, as has been mentioned, I'm not happy with my Black Magic Intensity in PP, but I'm not happy with my Matrox Mini Max in Avid. I'm primarily an Avid guy, so I keep the BM Intensity installed. But if I had to do a big PP CS6 job, I'd definitely swap it out for the Matrox Mini Max.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]