FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA Troubled Files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
AMA Troubled Files
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:15:32 pm

Hello,

I'm importing some clips into Avid, and I've noticed when I first AMA the Canon Mark 3 media, the timecode Avid is reading has the v1 layer 1 frame off than the A1 or A2 layers. Not in all the clips, but some, which leads me to believe that it's a fault of the Canon files and not the Avid.

Has anyone else noticed this problem and can confirm this?

(I posted this in the Canon forum room as well, thought it might help for both)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AMA Troubled Files
on Jul 10, 2012 at 4:11:21 pm

I don't have any Mark 3 media to test with, but would be interesting to open it in PPro, or other application. You can look at the track metadata in QuickTime Player 7 and see what it thinks the timecode is.

If you want to share one of those files, I can take a look as well.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:31:41 pm

Michael,

I looked at the file in Quicktime 7. Looking at the Timecode, it's the same TC as the A1 track in the Avid, not the V1 track. Stranger still, I go to the end of the clip, and find that the last 2 frames are identical in picture and timecode.

If I relink to AMA file in Avid, it will fix the timecode appropriately, but add one black frame at the very beginning of each clip that has this problem. But I first have to link to the AMA file, then relink to it.

Not all the files are like this, by the way, just some.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 10, 2012 at 4:57:06 pm

I don't get this.
Avid supports only 1 QT TC track, and i don't even know if the MK III does in fact write TC.
Don't you mean to say that sometimes your audio is out of sync?
(that is a known problem for the MKII)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:23:22 pm

I agree with you Bouke, there should be only one TC track. But when I AMA the audio in, I see V1 with a TC number and then A1 with the TC number 1 frame off.

No, it's not out of sync when I play it back in Quicktime 7.6.6.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:52:56 pm

I'm also looking at some H264s made with a Nikon, and when I link to the AMA file, they all come in starting on 00:00:00:01, not 00:00:00:00, which they should be as they don't have time code, and therefore I get the same error when I try to transcode.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 11, 2012 at 12:16:25 am

Can you do me a favor please:
Import one of your MKIII files WITHOUT AMA into whatever flavor of DNxHD. Then AMA link the H264 file. Check to see if the timecode start and end is identical.

I mention this because I recently reported a bug to Avid where I encountered inconsistencies between timecode of quicktime AMA'd clips and their MXF counterparts.

As a second note: I do remember that a recent Premiere Pro update (6.01 or something) said that they had addressed some incorrect timecode issues with the 5D Mark III. So... maybe it's Canon's problem after all and Adobe simply put a band-aid fix on it... not sure. Please report back.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:54:01 am

I don't think it's the Canon's fault, nor do i think it's a TC problem.

Reason:
I'm just working on AMA import / transcode of subclipped GoPro material to DV.
Stepped back to Plan B as i could not relink for uprez.
Reason i could not relink was probably that the decomposed subclips (with a gazillion handles to get them to original lenght) were one frame longer than the AMA ones...

So i transcoded the GoPro to DNxHD, after making QT copies of the Mp4 (no transcode, just rewrap), and on some clips have their audio off by one frame...

So, next time i'll probably transcode the whole shebang and forget about AMA.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:24:29 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "were one frame longer than the AMA ones..."

Well, funny enough that was exactly the issue that I reported to Avid (and they confirmed it) -- that AMA clips are sometimes cut off 1 frame short. I've mostly seen this with audio, but have heard reports about some quicktime files as well.

Not necessarily related but eerily similar...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]