FORUMS: list search recent posts

offline media problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Fritz
offline media problem
on Jul 10, 2012 at 1:42:33 pm

I am new to AMC coming from FCP and ran into a offline media problem. I have copied the original media files into avid media files from my hard disc taken from my Canon 7D. Would there be a better way to capture?
When disconnecting the hard drive all the media files appeared offline. Now I tried to relink them since they are also copied them into the avid media files. Obviously I must have made a mistake somewhere. However does anyone know how to relink the files anyways?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: offline media problem
on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:48:38 pm

Were they Avid media files, like DNxHD, MXF or were they another file type using AMA linking? Did you copy the files into a "numbered" (like "1") folder inside of the MXF folder? If they are not Avid MXF files then they do not go into the MXF folder structure.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Martin Fritz
on Jul 10, 2012 at 4:17:09 pm

Good Question Ricky. They were actually normal .mov files from my canon 7D which I copied straight into the avid media file folder. Did not copy them into the MXF folder which is in the Avid Media folder. Maybe that was the Problem. What do you think. I did not use AMA linking just importing them through the bin from the avid media file folder. TY

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:21:43 pm

Sounds like you are only "linking" to the files and not actually importing them. So, when your hard drive is disconnected, it doesn't see your files anymore, thus they are "off line".
Usually, I transfer the quicktime files from the CAnon to a hard drive. Then, I import the quicktime files to my bin. It's a fairly easy process and AVID sees the quicktime files just fine. That's really all you need to do.

Return to posts index

Martin Fritz
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:49:02 pm

Thanks for that Stacy. Do you save the files anywhere particular or in a particular manner for example into the avid media composer files to make your organisation and workflow perfect?

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:57:40 pm

Where I work, we have a specific Hard Drive where we save all digital media files. It's quite large and automatically backs up files for permanent storage. You don't want to save your files on the AVID hard drive...such as an ISIS. This is your work environment, but not where you'll store files permanently.
An external hard drive is what you'd want to store your files if you're working on a personal computer.
Then, import the quicktime files into your AVID bin. At that point, the quicktimes are in your project and should never go offline until your project is complete and you clean out your project.
I hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]