FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyway to remove Smart Tool and top timecode bar?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
katherine taylor
Anyway to remove Smart Tool and top timecode bar?
on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:50:58 am

Just wondering if it's possible to remove the gimmicky nonsense that Avid have now added to Media Composer to make it more like FCP. Principally the "smart tool" and the Timecode bar running along the top of the timeline.

I couldn't find a preference for it but wondering if there's a hack? (console command)?

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Anyway to remove Smart Tool and top timecode bar?
on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:54:15 pm

cant physically remove the smart tool, but theres nothing that says you have to use it. I never notice its there.

You need to get into segment mode, then hit shift a/s, and your in it. Click on the timeline and it brings you back to source record.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:23:20 pm

To my knowledge, you can't remove the smart tools. I hate them too.
You just have to click the box surrounding them and make them "stop" activating.

Return to posts index

katherine taylor
on Jul 10, 2012 at 4:00:37 pm

thanks anyway - guess I'll have to live with them :-). I don't like the design changes they are making at all.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 10, 2012 at 5:08:57 pm

[Stacy Lincoln] "To my knowledge, you can't remove the smart tools. I hate them too.
You just have to click the box surrounding them and make them "stop" activating.
"

You guys act like they activate on there own or something. In composer settings, you check “only one active smart tool at a time”, and pick wether you want overwrite or insert at its default behavior, and thats it. They wont turn on at random. Then you check, clicking timecode bar goes back to source record mode. Its really simple.

I dont get everyones gripes with them. Their there if you want to use them, but you can completely ignore them if you want.

Return to posts index

katherine taylor
on Jul 10, 2012 at 6:47:59 pm

One of the great things about the Avid interface is that you can hide all the elements you don't use. I like the interface to be as minimal and clean as possible, literally a simple timeline and source/record with no buttons and use hotkeys exclusively. These smart tools and extra nonsense Avid insist on adding just clutters things up. I do not want Final Cut Pro!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 10, 2012 at 8:41:58 pm

Again...as Neil said...you don't have to use them. You can turn them off completely. I don't use them...and I'm a HUGE FCP fan. The way they work in Avid is...not quite right. So I do things the Avid way. Turn them off...and get the select arrows by either the SHIFT A/S as mentioned...or by dragging a box around the clips. Deactivate by clicking on the timeline. Done.

People complain when interfaces are updated...when tools aren't updated. Then people complain when they are updated. There's no winning.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jul 10, 2012 at 9:31:42 pm

The win would be to make stuff a preference. Some folks are trying to help people understand this over on the Avid MC Mac forum. We new folks understand that some may want things to stay as they have been. Give us a preference for this and many UI and other things. Even a notalentwannabe such as myself is finding many of the ways Avid does things as odd. But I would not want to hamper the longtime users.

As I said in another thread (please sort by DATE not THREAD as the Cow does not put updated threads at the top) my current frustration is bringing a fairly simple FCP7 project via AAF into Symphony 6. A version of the same project imported into PPro 5 then 5.5 then 6 through XML very nicely. In Symphony I get offline media and it will not reconnect.

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Return to posts index

katherine taylor
on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:20:05 pm

Yep - a preference to turn it off and remove it from the interface would be ideal. I may sound nick-picky but I'd rather just not have it there at all, and I just worry that if Avid continue down this path then they'll clutter it up with more stuff.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 11, 2012 at 12:29:19 am

[Shane Ross] "People complain when interfaces are updated...when tools aren't updated. Then people complain when they are updated. There's no winning."

Thats what I'm saying.. Not to mention I'm honestly trying to figure out how that one inch by 1/4 inch rectangle off to the side of the timeline gets in anyones way of editing?

A lot of the guys at work really bitched about it when going up from 4 to 5, and i couldn't ever really figure out why. A lot grumblings about it being like FCP. Im like really? Unless your a drag/drop editor,and no one is here, i don't see how it makes a difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]