FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrox Mini with MAX and AVID vs FCP and Adobe

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
Matrox Mini with MAX and AVID vs FCP and Adobe
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:26:44 am

Hey Ya'll

Quick question. I have a Matrox Mini with MAX coming to use with my new copy of Symphony on my brand spanking new Macbook Pro (Retina) fully decked out. I kinda bought the Mini on a whim because there was a sale going on and am curious about my purchase. From what I understand, it accelerates renders in Premiere and FCP but not AVID only the Nitris DX accelerates AVID effect performance but makes converting to H.264 from Prores, DNxHD etc fly. (I think?) Question: Does the Matrox Mini actually make edits faster on FCP and Adobe vs AVID? Or is AVID faster? Or is the real perk what happens when finalizing out an H.264? I just want to make sure I made the right investment, my main goal is to SPEED UP EDITING and if it doesn't really effect AVID then what's the point. Forgive me but this is the first time I have invested into a very professional editing suite. Regardless I'm planning on using AVID primarily as my NLE.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Matrox Mini with MAX and AVID vs FCP and Adobe
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:57:45 am

[Terry Leahy] "From what I understand, it accelerates renders in Premiere and FCP but not AVID"

*BUZZZZ!* Nope, sorry, it doesn't accelerate rendering with any software. the MAX option accelerates encoding H.264 files...but not rendering inside the NLE.

[Terry Leahy] " Does the Matrox Mini actually make edits faster on FCP and Adobe vs AVID? Or is AVID faster?"

Nope.

[Terry Leahy] "Or is AVID faster?"

Nope.

[Terry Leahy] "Or is the real perk what happens when finalizing out an H.264?"

YUP! That and the ability to monitor your work externally...and capture from cameras or some decks if you needed to.

[Terry Leahy] "I just want to make sure I made the right investment, my main goal is to SPEED UP EDITING"

Well, then you will be sad to know that it doesn't do that. Nothing speeds up editing in FCP or Avid. Adobe gets a boost from certain higher end graphics cards that enable the Mercury Engine. But really, all that helps with is playing back raw formats reliably. Without it editing performance is below standard.

[Terry Leahy] " if it doesn't really effect AVID then what's the point."

The point is faster H.264 encodes for review or final output...and external monitoring on a bigger monitor so you can see what your footage actually looks like.

The drawback to the Matrox MXO2 line is that there are different drivers for all the NLEs...different one for Avid, different one for Adobe and different one for FCP. And if you use the box for all three, you should have a different OS drive for each, as you cannot have all three drivers on one OS partition. AND...if you switch between apps, you need to "flash" the firmware on the unit to get it to work with the drivers on that boot. Yeah...it can get complicated.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 9, 2012 at 4:07:23 am

[Shane Ross] "The drawback to the Matrox MXO2 line is that there are different drivers for all the NLEs...different one for Avid, different one for Adobe and different one for FCP. And if you use the box for all three, you should have a different OS drive for each, as you cannot have all three drivers on one OS partition. AND...if you switch between apps, you need to "flash" the firmware on the unit to get it to work with the drivers on that boot. Yeah...it can get complicated."

Yes, and as much as I like my Mini for my laptop, this drives me crazy. And probably away, when I get around to it.

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:43:54 pm

Okay, great answers, thank you. So a few questions from that. One, is there a box that does work across multiple NLEs? Two, do many just partition the drive into three for each different NLE? And three, if I do all color and finishing in AVID, am I good? This box is used to make H.264s faster and make color easier any way you cut it, so if I exclusively do finishing work in AVID (Symphony or FCP for that matter) I should be set just using a driver for one. Actually...I really wouldn't edit in Adobe, I just use it for illustrator, photoshop and After Effects so how can I make it so that my Macbook pro can go either Final Cut mode or Avid mode and use this box.

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:50:55 pm

You know what? I have Symphony which has better finishing than FCP. I want to be an AVID editor who "can" use FCP so I think I'll just focus the MXO2 box on that NLE. I can always automatic duck a FCP to AVID for finishing should another editor have done the offline cut. Cool?

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:34:04 pm

Right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:38:11 pm

[Terry Leahy] "I can always automatic duck a FCP to AVID for finishing should another editor have done the offline cut. Cool?"

I guess. I know that Color is vastly superior to Avid Symphony when it comes to Grading...really pushing the colors and making them pop. Symphony is good for fast corrections...making it look passable. Getting scenes to match color. But it is not a Grading app. For that you go to DaVinci or Color or Scratch.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:58:45 pm

Ay Dios Mio! So much to learn in this nutty field. So an effective workflow might be, launch MXO2 Ingest or Convert to Symphony and do first cut. Boot other Partition for Final Cut Studio and flash MXO2 Find a way to send it to Color for Grading, Boot other Partition and Flash MXO2 Send it back to Symphony. Create motion effects in After Effects and add to Symphony sequence. Export to H.264 using MAX technology. Geez...I have 500 Gig Flash Memory in my Macbook Pro but really don't want to (and don't know how) to partition the drive...What the heck do other people do?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:11:50 pm

I'm using the AJA Kona 3, that works with all of the apps with one driver. And two plugins...one for Adobe and one for Avid...and they all live happily together. I can have all three apps on one partition if I want...but I still have three boot partitions.

I also have the AJA IOXT for my laptop. But these aren't cheap options. BlackMagic Design has cheap options, and they work with all three too. My only issue with Matrox at the moment is the need to flash the firmware for each app.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:38:09 pm

Does Flashing the Firmware take very long? Or is it just an annoyance between parts of an edit. At the end of the day I did only pay 700 bucks and don't have a highend broadcast monitor yet anyway. Also Shane, thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. And here's another. Partitioning a drive with Macbook Pro. How would one go about that? Our workflow is using multiple 2TB Internal Drives in E-Sata Docks, should I just Partition one of the those Half for Adobe and Half for FCP with my internal running AVID? This is something that confuses me so any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]