FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID not Relinking mxf files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Izzy Tamang
AVID not Relinking mxf files
on Jul 8, 2012 at 3:50:01 am

Hi,
I just had a nightmarish time editing R3d files due to some issue so I transcoded from Redcine X to mxf files (DNxHD 175) to edit faster/seamlessly (or less frustratingly).
The new files have a bit different name than the R3d ones.
R3d filename : A050_C001_0630Q8_001.R3D
MXF file name: A050_C001V013FF60001.mxf

So I relocated the R3d files (to make it go offline) so I can relink the sequence to the new mxf files.

I did relink and it won't relink at all. Batch import gives me "Cannot batch import with mixed rate" even with individual files.

How to I relink my current R3d (raw) linked project sequence and the clips to the newly transcoded mxf (DNxHD 175)clips?

Nothing seems to work. Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID not Relinking mxf files
on Jul 8, 2012 at 4:58:30 am

Perhaps you are running into the known issue with R3D files and relink when starting with AMA then relinking to files transcoded with REDCINE X Pro. The name of the MXF file is not the issue, it's the fact that AMA puts the file name (including .r3d) in the Source File column and Redcine X Pro (using the Avid SDK) puts the filename in the TAPE column without the .r3d extension. This is further compounded by spanned files where AMA will see the filename with the _001 at the end of the filename while REDCINE X Pro will still be the original 16 characters.

Although some relinking between Source File and Tape was done in v6, it did not support the spanned file naming of R3D and seems to be your problem. You would need to transcode the AMA linked files to not have this issue.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:04:09 am

Thanks Michael.
So does that mean I need to retranscode all over again? From AVID (consolidate) or Redcine X Pro?
The reason being that I did some color adjustment on Redcine so that would all be voided if I have to go through AVID.

Would have been lot easer to have started the project after transcoding them instead of Onlining.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 8, 2012 at 1:59:34 pm

That's the good and bad of AMA - the marketing side will make you believe it is native editing all the time - but as with all things, there are shades of gray - while it is true that it can work, I find it works best with non-DnxHD Avid native codecs and some up to 10-15 hours of sources. Also, if you need to do multicam, and such, AMA is not the way to go.

In your scenario, since you started AMA, you will need to transcode via AMA. Any color corrections you did should carry through the RMD file if you select that in the source settings (default) before the transcode.

Only v6 with the latest version of the AMA plug-in support the latest Color space, but does not yet support DRx should any of that been used on the footage.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 8, 2012 at 10:16:48 pm

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the side note regarding AMA. I think I'm completely stalled now.

I tried to transcode via AVID but it game me errors about different edit rate. But I went and did convert anyway which only converted half of the clips.

At this point I have two options. Transcode clips in batches and carry on hoping AVID would relink to the newly transcoded files (.new files).

Or close the project and start new from the ground up with the newly R3D (mxf) transcoded files (which is better than pulling my hair out).

So so frustrated that I stubbornly started in AVID and with RED in order to save time editing raw (on lining) than transcoding, only to end up trouble shooting, transcoding and restarting the project all over again thus spending more time fixing it.

This is will be a benchmark point against going longterm and referring AVID to other friends.

Wow

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 8, 2012 at 10:32:55 pm

Well different frame rates is another issue to deal with, and has a few hoops to go through. Although the mix & match quality of different frame rates is higher quality and real time compared to FCP, managing them can be painful and hopefully one day that will be addressed in the application.

But each original frame rate needs to opened and transcoded in its own matching project type. So 23.976 in a 23.976 project, etc. From there yo open those bins in the project you're working in and the mix & match kicks in as needed.

But...

And here's the but... as soon as you transcode a clip that has a different frame rate than the project type, it gives you a big warning about becoming a totally new clip with absolutely no link to where it came from. Which is a pain in the ass for any project that needs to go back, but has to transcode/render due to performance. For whatever reason, that was the decision in v6 whereas in v5.5 the original sources were preserved for EDL's and such. But even with that issue brought up, it was still implemented that way.

So now you are probably caught in the mixed frame rate/relink...

What are the different frame rates?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 8, 2012 at 10:46:21 pm

Too bad, AVID does not have any simplified intuitive pipeline to linking and relinking media files.

The "Record Frame Rates" are 24 and 48(for slow-motion )

Also now the directory path to R3d files has some with just the hard Drive name "IZZY-RAID" (previously for all) and others with the couple directory path "/Volumes/IZZY-RAID/PROJECTS/IYFF/ACTIVE/E-40-TurnItUp/"

Weird, but it also gave me errors saying " a serious error has occurred, restart......." which I believe is due to numerous cluttered mxf files. So I unlinked/relinked and removed pmr/mdb..all that. Which seem to work for now.

So would you say that at this point I have no solution but to restart all over again? I mean no way to relink the sequence to the R3d transcoded files?

Your expert advise as to best solution moving forward with the project would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 8, 2012 at 11:14:34 pm

The slomo material if properly shot on the R3D should show up as 23.976. But that requires the base frame rate to be set on the camera and any frame rate other than that will become slomo or "fastmo", so that is something to check in REDCINE X Pro whether is behaves as a 23.976 clip for 47.952.

Seeing as you are at a standstill, I would suggest starting over. The decision will be whether you make DNxHD in REDCINE X Pro, or use AMA to link, then transcode. I need to check your original posting as to where you want to end up in the end - and what third party tools you might want to be using with the process.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:49:37 am

I already made DNxHD 175 mxf files in Redcine X Pro so I will just drop that in mxf folder and start from there. Besides I utilized the new colorspace "Redcolor 3" on RED. The new gamma space seem a little to much.

So there goes.

The FPS of the footage on Redcine and Redplayer show 24 and 48 and not 23.97 or 47.95. It was shot on EPIC...which I though they would have a setting for 23.97 as opposed to 24 flat.

Thanks very much for all your helpful wealth of AVID knowledge. The voodoo of AVID still intrigues me.

Israel

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:54:51 am

If it shows 48 and the intent was a slomo, the camera operator did not set the camera up properly for slomo - whether it be in REDICINE X or AMA in MC.

With latest R3D plug-in and v6 MC, the Redcolor 3 and RMD would be part of the transcode via AMA - but either way, you seem to be on your way.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 9, 2012 at 3:10:54 am

I see. I'll relay that! Thanks! I am onto a hyper editing mode to catch up on the lost time.

Return to posts index

white yufeng
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:48:43 am

If your MXF files are from Canon, the Workflow- Importing&Editing Canon EOS C500 MXF to Avid Media Composer will help you a lot

-----------------------------------------------

Camcorder Video Tips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]