FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best budget friendly IO card for Avid & Premiere

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Lucid
Best budget friendly IO card for Avid & Premiere
on Jul 6, 2012 at 4:16:59 pm

I have Avid, Premiere & AE and need to go between them based on my projects. I currently have a old UVW-1800 beta deck that basically collects dust these days but I would like to retain the ability to capture and digitize from it if need be. Is there a good budget friendly IO card that will input/export component SD from the beta deck and kick out HDMI to a third LCD Monitor (I run dual montiors) for a HD real-time view of my edits? Perhaps something in the Blackmagic line of products? Your opinions will be very much appreciated!

Note: I really don't need to HD preview in AE on and external monitor but if it's there I'll use it.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Best budget friendly IO card for Avid & Premiere
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:25:10 pm

I have been happy with my Blackmagic Extreme 3D card - especially with the latest desktop video drivers which fixed the audio scrub crash. And it offers all the analog I/O for your legacy decks. I am only speaking for MC, I am just getting CS6 up and running and will be testing there as well.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Dean Lucid
on Jul 7, 2012 at 10:11:03 pm

Thanks! I've looked at that card and new it would do the trick but thought maybe there was something on a lower price point to look into. If i forgot about the beta deck i would basically just need a hdmi output for an HD preview monitor. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution for this while keeping my dual monitors? It seems as though a decent video card could do this if avid and premier can play nice with one. Would have to have dual dvi + hdmi i would expect. Thanks for the responses!

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 8, 2012 at 12:22:42 am

Here's the thing, I'm in EXACTLY the same predicament. Prior to MC 6.x, I was using the Matrox MXO2 Mini, which was totally awesome. In MC 5.x it worked like butter and was totally reliable. However, in MC 6.x, the system changed somehow and the drivers are no longer as good. The Matrox MXO2 mini is now almost unusable when doing trims with the audio scrubbing enabled in MC. Outside of that it works great in MC.

The Matrox also works awesomely with PP CS6. I was using it a couple weeks ago to cut some 5k RED Raw files natively without transcoding and you would have thought I was using a DV sequence or something, it was so silky smooth. Totally awesome. I was impressed as could be.

Unfortunately, since Avid is my primary NLE, I switched over to a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. This card works great with MC 6.x. The scrubbing is pretty decent. I can trim now while in audio scrub mode (still not perfectly, but it's pretty good. Splitting hairs kinda stuff). All would be great, except this card doesn't do any up or down converting, so it's basically worthless when trying to use CS6 with footage larger than video frame sizes.

I can create a 1080p sequence for my RED Raw footage and get it to display from the record side, but you can no longer see your footage from the source side in Premiere Pro. Worthless.

So I'm looking for something that will make me happy in both applications too. I'm currently looking at the AJA Kona cards. Anybody have experience using these cards in both systems? Or the AJA I/O Express? Again, any experience in both systems?

Thanks a million in advance.

Michael, does the more expensive BM card work in both systems? I'd be willing to drop a bit more coin if it works.

Chris Conlee
MacPro 4,1 (8 core)
OS X 10.7.4
24Gb RAM
GTX285 (latest CUDA drivers)
MXO2 Mini or BM Intensity Pro (latest drivers)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]