FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaheryar Ahmed
Workflow question
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:41:08 pm

Hey all... Im using Avid Media Composer 6 on my PC. Its the best thing that has happened for me. Now I had a few problems regarding workflows and I thought you guys could help me on this. Obviously you guys have been using it MC to perfection. Now if I am working on a feature film or lets say a short film. This would be my workflow:

- Transcode the files to DNXHD36 with MpegStreamclip. (Now I know I could do that by a standard import in MC or I could link AMA files and transcode them but I like this as it offers batch processing which I really like and so far I dont see a drawback to this).

-Import them using standard import as DNXHD36 which will lead to a fast import.

-Start edit and lock the picture.

- Relink with DNXHD145.

Now here comes the issue. What I want to do is that I would want to take the sequence to Adobe After Effects CS5 for compositing. And then take that project to Davinci Resolve Lite for color grading. From Davinci Resolve I can get it back in MC6 pretty easily due to round trip. Help me with a DAW aswell. Pro Tools or Nuendo. How to take the audio in these softwares? I want to finish the film in After Effects with creating Tiff sequence. That would be my master. I'll create the dvd or any other deliverables with those Tiffs. Please help me out.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Workflow question
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:54:29 pm

It would help to understand what your original camera format is, and why a transcode in MPEG Streamclip is better than an AMA link to and transcode in the first place.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Shaheryar Ahmed
on Jul 6, 2012 at 4:55:50 pm

I find it a little faster and hassle free with Streamclip. That is all... I guess the camera format should not be the problem cause we are dealing with dnxhd throughout our post production. Is that not right? Is it better to link files through ama and then transcode?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:20:27 pm

Depending on input format and all, it may be a 50/50 wash, but AMA link and transcode would have the following advantages:

1. Ability to easily see black/white levels to set between 0-255 Graphics levels or 16-235 Video levels with the histogram

2. One step set up and transcode to Avid managed media. When creating QuickTime wrapped DNxHD in other programs, you are still going to have to link to then via AMA, or do a fast import or consolidate. This assumes that you don't want to work linked to AMA for the entire project which has its own set of advantages/disadvantages.

3 Depending on step 2, you won't temporarily have twice the media for the import/transcode/consolidate stage to Avid managed media (assuming not staying native AMA)

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Shaheryar Ahmed
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:48:37 pm

Hmmm... Thanks.. You are on the money with AMA link and then transcode. I just tested that and it is better. Even at Avid forums they say this is a better workflow. Now how to take the sequence from Avid to After Effects CS5 for compositing and then take the composited comp to Davinci Resolve Lite for grading and bring it back in Avid.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:54:34 pm

I haven't done much of that testing as you surely want to conform to the original masters for the work to be done. I would suggest trying an AAF to Premiere Pro and using that as the conform hub to After Effects. Make sure you test our RGB or 709 renders to not have gamma shifts back and forth.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]