FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID Sluggish!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Izzy Tamang
AVID Sluggish!
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:59:04 am

Hello Aviders,

I just had to ask this because its bothering really bad.
I am editing a music video shot on EPIC and am editing Raw (onlining) in AVID MC6.

I just upgraded my ram to 36 GB along with graphics card too.
That should speed things up for heavy duty editing on massive files.

But after linking the R3d files and putting them on the timeline, it is sluggish on trim mode, selecting record monitor on tracks, and just basic interface usage. It takes few seconds to change from trim mode to pointer.
However, the playback and scrubbing is fast.
Brought video tracks from 14 to 8 tracks.
Created new sequence but still the same.

Video display settings are set to best performances, played around with streaming limit and all.

When I switched to different projects, its totally fine and runs smooth.

Basically, my editing is very slow on this particular one.

What gives? Its driving me crazy.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks

Izzy

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: AVID Sluggish!
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:27:21 am

Are you using an I/o device.?

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 6, 2012 at 11:56:19 am

Is everything linked via AMA?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:03:45 pm

Via AMA volume.

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:03:27 pm

No, I'm not. Just external hard drives. I am editing as we speak and there is no way around it.
Tried dumping the pmr and and mdb files, clearing caches, rebooting app and computer.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:21:18 pm

Well AMA managing lots of footage will slow down. Add to that the R3D format for debayering overhead, and whatever the connection to the drive (and if daisy-chained) all impact the overall performance expectation for the editor.

My cutoff for AMA for codec types is around 6 hours. Anything more, I will transcode up front. Some codecs that are native to the Avid codec library (formats you can transcode to in addition to DNxHD) will have a better time via AMA since the decode is not being done by QuickTime, etc.

I suspect you are set to green/yellow which affects the debayer extraction you are using. You need a chart to keep track of what MC is doing when it comes to debayering R3D. For example, if you shoot 4K, the green/green mode is only 1/2 debayer since the 1920x1080 project type does that on the fly for you as 1920x1080 is near 2K, and thus 1/2 of 4K. So green/yellow is 1/4 and yellow/yellow is 1/8th. But if you were to open that in a 720p project, then you would be starting at the next level down (1K) where green/green is 1/4, green/yellow is now 1/8th, etc. but may get you more performance due to removing some of the debayer overhead.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:49:12 pm

Thanks for your elaborate explanation.

Its 5K actually. The footage has some takes with skipped/dropped frames. I wonder if that has anything to do.

I tested with the display settings and am working on best performance Yellow/Yellow.
It runs fine on draft (yellow/green). I also temporarily set the format to 720p to ease things up but that did not make any difference.

Its the simple tasks, like adding a cut, adding a keyframe, selecting/deselecting record monitor, dragging clips on timeline that just gets painfully slow (goes to spinning wheel for few seconds).

I noticed on my activity cpu usage bars that when it plays the footage it uses all cores, but when
I switch to simple editing tasks, it fills up only one bar at a time and keeps moving around (from bar to bar)

I wonder if the dropped frame has anything to do with it.

Its baffling the heck out of me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:01:42 pm

In your case it's a combination of amount of footage, type of drive, and AMA. At some point you will find yourself trnascoding... and when you do, make sure Media Creations is not set to FULL debayer as it will take a long time. 1/2 premium or 1/2 good are fine for HD finishing. Use full if you have a Rocket card.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Izzy Tamang
on Jul 8, 2012 at 12:52:16 am

Hi, I did drew to that conclusion the all those factors could have caused it but thought if there was any solution.
So, I ended up transcoding to DNxHD 175 half premium debayer.

Now I have all these MXF files which I dropped to AMF (mxv/1) folder
I can't relink my current clips to the new transcoded files.
I relocated the files and so it offline but can't relink(batch import and relink) to the new files.
Unlike FCP where you can manually reconnect all of them.

Why is AVID so cumbersome?
Please help!
THanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]