FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ama(R3D) -> Avid - > Da Vinci

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
Ama(R3D) -> Avid - > Da Vinci
on Jul 4, 2012 at 7:58:18 am

So i have a bit of a problem, the edl i create is only saving partial information and when i test the file in FCP it doesnt seem to reconnect.

STEP 1 - AMA files in to avid + add sound

STEP 2 -SUB clip clip with sound

STEP 3 - EDIT

STEP 4 - Colourists (da vinci) has asked for aaf and eld and he will link to original footage

STEP 5 - Tried to export aaf however it wont let me with this version of avid MC5.0.3?

STEP 6 - Export EDL, wont let me, but i use a work around and with EDL manager open up the sequence, the correct shots/dissolver/ audio is all shown in the list however when i try to re connect (tested using FCP), it doesnt re connect. The sequence is all edited and all effect are still on it, however the names of the file arent complete.

IE its looking for A100_002, however the file is A100_002_1234567. Im a bit stuck as what to do, help! Will Da Vinci See the project similar to how FCP has seen it?
IS there a better way (without transcodeing, wanting to grade the original R3D) to get the sequence to DaVinci.

Thank you

Ricky

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: Ama(R3D) -> Avid - > Da Vinci
on Jul 4, 2012 at 10:44:32 am

OK,

so first thing to look at I think is whether Da Vinci takes another EDL type other than CMX3600. Which is I'm guessing what you are using.

- using File16 EDL type gives you ability to have the whole clip name in the EDL. I know this works going back to Red Cine X. Which, by the way, might be a nice idea in order to export trimmed R3Ds instead of having to give all media to graders. (Note: if you do this, don't include audio in your EDL to RedCineX - it doesn't like it, for some reason)

- If for some reason you are locked into using CMX3600, like I am at the moment (with Apple Color), there are ways around this by including the clip name in the comments in EDL manager settings. This requires you to change the name of the clips used in your seq. Best way I think to do this would be to take the seq and put in a new bin. Decompose. Get rid of audio. Duplicate whatever field has the complete reel name in and select "name" in the dialog box that pops up. Then export an EDL of the decomposed seq with the clip name in the comments.

If you get this working let me know, it'll be good to know for sure that Avid --> DaVinci with Red works.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 4, 2012 at 1:27:10 pm

Michael already referenced the issue with the EDL. The issue with using 30 year old technology (CMX EDL) and new workflows. The EDL specifies that a source can not have more than 8 characters and no more than 254 sources total, and no more than 999 events. Well that doesn't really work in the new millennium. The File_16 and File_32 templates were created to support newer workflows while still available as an EDL. The File_16 was designed for RED to allow the full 16 characters of the filename to be used as source. File_32 for formats that use more than 16 such as Arri Alexa, SI2K, etc. The number of sources was changed to be unlimited since every clips was now its own source, and the limitation as to the number of events was removed.

FCP always stuck to the EDL specification while every other manufacturer quickly adopted the new EDL format. So FCP still has the 8 character limit which is why you see the ALE contain the 8 character file truncation when exporting from RXC Pro to Avid. I asked RED they include that so MC could track both methods of source allowing one to go to FCP or other third parties.

AMA has its own extraction of metadata from the RED SDK - I can't recall whether it does the 8 character representation or not - I don't think it does - but just use the File_16 template for all workflows not involving FCP.

AMA also requires that a transcode be done before you can export an AAF file - which is a bit stupid, and is also the reason why you can't send sequence to EDL Manager as it uses AAF to communicate between the two applications. Opening the bin directly from EDL Manager skips that communication protocol.

But, you can check "use edit protocol" on the AAF settings on export and it will allow you to export an AAF. Edit Protocol is a simplified version of the composition, closer to an EDL than the full metadata of everything that goes into an AAF file, but for what Resolve and many other applications support, it works fine.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:39:03 pm

Nice!

I've asked a friend with DaVinci to do a couple of tests. He's reported back that the EDL I produced using EDL manager of type CMX3600 worked with no problems.

The events looked like the following in the EDL:

001 A008_C00 V C 12:04:59:10 12:04:59:17 00:59:52:00 00:59:52:07
* SOURCE FILE: A008_C009_0616EZ

But still better to go with File_16 or AAF for the reasons Michael explained.

Michael Cheung

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:51:28 pm

[Michael Phillips] "But, you can check "use edit protocol" on the AAF settings on export and it will allow you to export an AAF. Edit Protocol is a simplified version of the composition, closer to an EDL than the full metadata of everything that goes into an AAF file, but for what Resolve and many other applications support, it works fine.
"

I've also just had this tested with trimmed R3D files from RCX and worked with no problems!

Happy days!

Michael Cheung

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]