FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Ship Slowly Sinking?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
larry tempesta
Avid Ship Slowly Sinking?
on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:15:55 am

just read this.....I had no idea that Avid was in such bad shape, has anyone else heard anything? I just switched back to avid from FCP now I read this...

http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/pro/870-more-bad-news-from-avid-is-...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Avid Ship Slowly Sinking?
on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:25:46 am

Very long thread which includes more reports and analysis.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/38711#38711

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:18:19 am

To be fair - I think they are still strong but they have to keep adapting.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:33:22 am

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "I think they are still strong"

Nearly 6 years of loses show otherwise. Their quarter over quarter loses (Q1 2011 compared to Q1 2012) tripled.

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "but they have to keep adapting."

6 years and they haven't yet. They keep laying off people. Another 20% gone.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:35:46 am

To be fair they have adapted. Never before have they allowed other hardware in on the scale they are now. That is a big step. Now the price has to come down. Next their shared storage methodology or systems they sell need to be more open and/or affordable.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:08:46 am

Umm, yes, change everything, ;-)

I think the issue is that Unity/Isis may be Avid's greatest value. I don't doubt competition may increase of "cost effective" solutions (even if they aren't as feature rich). The down economy has a big impact on facility purchasing decisions.

Avid's financial strong points is that they basically have no debt and currently have about $50 million on hand. This is allowing them to sustain. I think a new business model may involved more than pricing though. Lower pricing by itself may not be the best solution for them.

For example, MC and Symphony are certainly solid NLEs in part of the industry. Competing with Adobe for Apple (if/when they get their game back) may not be fruitful for them. Finding ways to incentivize the move to build out facilities with their hardware might help.

Maybe their hints and "cloud" based workflow will make a "virtual" facility model happen at some point. It'll be interesting to see where Interplay Sphere goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]