FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice on computer extras as to AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Burrus
advice on computer extras as to AVID
on Jul 3, 2012 at 3:17:13 am

I'm taking an AVID class and purchasing 27' iMac with i7 processor. Will buy 16Ram separately from Apple but would appreciate advice regarding the following choices of configuration: [note: computer to be used almost exclusively for editing]
1. HARD DRIVES
a. 1 TB Serial ATA Drive
b. 2 TB ATA Drive [$135]
c. 256GB Solid State Drive [$450]
d. 1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256 Solid State Drive [$540]
e. 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256 Solid State Drive [$675]
2. Remote: $19.00

3. Time Capsule: $279 (TB), $479 (3TB)
Time Capsule is a revolutionary wireless backup device that works automatically with Time Machine in OS X to create an easy-to-use, hassle-free backup solution. The massive server-grade hard drive (2 TB or 3TB) gives you the capacity and safety needed for reliably backing up your Mac computers. More than that, Time Capsule is also a full-featured AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n technology. Now you can experience a high-speed wireless network, as well as an ideal approach to backing up the Mac computers on your network. All in one device.
Control your Mac from afar with the sleek aluminum Apple Remote. Play, pause, adjust volume, move forward and back, and access menus while playing music and video.
4. Apple TV ($99)
Apple TV is an entertainment powerhouse that plays the content you love from iTunes, Netflix, YouTube, and more. With up to 1080p HD capability, Apple TV gives you access to the best content—including popular movies, current TV shows, sporting events and, of course, your music and photos—right on your widescreen TV. And it works wireless from your Mac, as well your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch (via Airplay). Its compact size makes it ideal for sitting neatly on a TV stand or squeezing into a crowded media cabinet. And when it’s not filling your living room with drama, romance, and comedy, it uses less power than a night-light.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: advice on computer extras as to AVID
on Jul 3, 2012 at 3:12:19 pm

Good rule of thumb, get the largest hard drives you can afford, get the fastest processor you can afford and accept the fact that your system will be almost completely obsolete in 2 years (No way around that one).

As far as internal hard drives, get one large enough to hold your sound effects and music libraries, stuff that will be constant from project to project, but if you're working on a client basis I would look into external solutions. While it took them long enough, it looks like Thunderbolt solutions are finally coming down the pipe and those might be a good option. They're still pricey, but will provide fantastic performance for editing.

As far as editing goes, I wouldn't bother with time capsule or Apple TV. I would consider a break out box of some sort. Blackmagic has a thunderbolt break out box, but so does AJA and I've always been a bigger fan of them. It's called the io XT, and will allow you to connect your Avid MC6 or Final Cut system to a broadcast monitor.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:03:37 pm

Thanks Richard.

It's nice to know there are generous spirits out there.
Know that you can rightfully add "and of others" to that fine "facilitator" quote by Hicks

At 63, I need the BEST advice I can get and sincerely appreciate it when given.

Best of luck to someone who genuinely deserves it.

Bill

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:45:28 pm

Sorry, but I realize I must take your time once again.

1. you state that, "As far as internal hard drives, get one large enough to hold your sound effects and music libraries". A "Musical" productions is amongst my dreams (which I have scripted, storyboarded with 13 musical number). Given this, is it better to get an external drive, or would one of the configurations offered be best? ie:
a. 1 TB Serial ATA Drive
b. 2 TB ATA Drive [$135]

2. is the iMac's 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor fast enough to do the job, or am I already starting out on an inadequate foot? Know that I have other written and storyboarded script

3. is the 16 Ram upgrade advisable? Or is it unnecessarily high given the potential limitation of my processor?

By now you must see me as the true novice that I am.
Still, any other suggestions that comes to mind would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:56:40 pm

Sorry, but I realize I must take your time once again.

1. you state that, "As far as internal hard drives, get one large enough to hold your sound effects and music libraries". A "Musical" productions is amongst my dreams (which I have scripted, storyboarded with 13 musical number). Given this, is it better to get an external drive, or would one of the configurations offered be best? ie:
a. 1 TB Serial ATA Drive
b. 2 TB ATA Drive [$135]

2. is the iMac's 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor fast enough to do the job, or am I already starting out on an inadequate foot? Know that I have other written and storyboarded script

3. is the 16 Ram upgrade advisable? Or is it unnecessarily high given the potential limitation of my processor?

By now you must see me as the true novice that I am.
Still, any other suggestions that comes to mind would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jul 4, 2012 at 12:33:28 am

No worries man, we all gotta get started somewhere.

If it's a musical production with tracks specific to the piece, I would keep that on an external drive. Consider that media for that specific project, just as the unique footage shot for that project. The stuff you'd probably want on a local hard drive would be stock music libraries, or if you use a program like smart sound to create music cues, and likewise your collection of sound effects.

A quad core i7 is going to be a rocking' system. You're probably working with HD and not anything crazy like 2k and 4k, and that will work like a champ for that.

The ram will be useful as MC6 is now 64-bit and will be able to harness that RAM. Of course this is the first version in 64-bit and I'm sure it will get better in time, but RAM is a good investment in my mind.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:31:25 am

being naturally obtuse, i require one last point of advice:
As to the configured hard drive choices seen below, (and realizing i am just this side of hurtin'-for-dough) which upgrade would i be foolish not to include?
a. 1 TB Serial ATA Drive [stock]
b. 2 TB ATA Drive [add $135]
c. 256GB Solid State Drive [add $450]

i'd rather not skimp on something really necessary.

lastly, i start my class mid-aug and the "rumor" is that there the upgraded iMac might come out in aug. but, more likely, in early 2013.
can't wait till 2013, but would you advise waiting thru aug. on the relatively slight chance of an aug. upgrade to include "retina display" and how important is that advance to the film editing process.

thanks, again.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 4, 2012 at 8:50:09 pm

Be sure to get at least a 7500RPM drive for the 1TB or 2TB choices as they will be faster if using them for video editing. The SSD drives are great, but still expensive as media drives due to their price to storage ratio - in the future they will be great. Right now the best use for those is for the OS drive - boot up, and software start-up and such is lightening fast. But if you have a lot of applications and such, you can quickly fill up 256GB. Can the system offer 2x 2TB 7500RPM drives that you can strip for speed and capacity.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jul 4, 2012 at 9:09:35 pm

Thanks, Michael.

The iMac only offers a 7200rpm drive in 1TB OR 2TB.
It has 4 thunderbolt and 2 firewire ports if they are any help.
Two questions:
1. How severe a disadvantage is this.
2. Can an external drive with sufficient rpm remedy or mitigate the disadvantage?

Thanks so much for your time.
Bill

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:14:16 pm

There is no such thing as a 7500 rpm hdd-it was a typo on his part.

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:54:00 pm

YEA!!

Thanks.., but it just goes to show how "in the dark"
this poor little lamb" is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]