FORUMS: list search recent posts

Link to AMA acting really buggy

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dragovits
Link to AMA acting really buggy
on Jul 1, 2012 at 5:28:23 pm

I'm linking over to AMA files and when I go to import a particular file that has a set name, it imports it and labels it as something else. I've also had it where when I link to an ama file and bring it in, another file with a different name goes off-line.

I have a lot of files from a three-camera shoot so there is a ton of media to keep track of. I'm thinking something may have become corrupted. Is there a way to rebuild the connections or some type of files I should trash to force the application to rebuild the directory to the files I'm already using?

The footage was shot as .mxf files.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Link to AMA acting really buggy
on Jul 1, 2012 at 6:54:13 pm

Are you referring to source filename being managed as TapeID, Tape, and Source File?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
on Jul 1, 2012 at 10:38:55 pm

It's the actual file name.

As an example. I've already linked to a file named "Z1645001" and started editing that clip. Then, when I go to import another file that was shot later that day on another memory card that is named "Z1646001" it imports the other file (Z1645011) even though that is not the file I selected. Then when I delete that incorrect file from my bin it makes the file go off-line in the other bin and I have to relink back to the correct file. (Hope you're able to follow that. It's quite strange what's going on.)

For whatever reason it appears that Avid is getting confused with the last 4 digits of the file name. I'm tempted to go through and rename all of my files with unique text names before linking via AMA, however, since this was a three camera shoot with 5 different modules that range from 15 to 30 minutes that would be quite a bit of work. I don't know if I'm expecting to much from AMA or what. Each file has a unique numerical name so there is no reason it should import a different file than what I select.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 1, 2012 at 11:10:18 pm

Interesting - And it's not like its a long string and file identity is being done by a smaller amount of characters. If you were to link to each of those files via AMA in a brand new project - does the SOURCE FILE column show unique names? What camera is making these files?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
on Jul 2, 2012 at 3:52:41 am

I made this video to show you exactly what is happening. I created a brand new project and it's still doing this.

http://creativeforce.tv/AMA_issue.mov

The footage was shot on HD Panasonic cameras that were tape-based. They used a box on the top of the camera that converted the digital info to mxf files.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 2, 2012 at 8:09:07 am

What does it say in the source file or tape column for 5001? What happens if you do a traditional import of 6001?

Seems to me like MC is thinking these two clips are the same. That would imply they share common TC and source.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 2, 2012 at 8:56:26 am

I agree it sounds like the MXF files are being made with the same Tape name metadata and MC is seeing timecodes that coincide and cross linking media.

I'd AMA all the clips from one card. Check the tape/reel names and if need be modify them to be unique. Then transcode to Avid media.
Mount the second AMA card and modify the tape/reel to be unique and Transcode.
And continue like that.
The issue here may well be that the recorder should have had it's tape ID being changed every time much as you'd label each tape different but in fact you may well have effectively created a whole bunch of 001 "tapes" and as all may start at timecode 00:00:00:00 the chances of time code overlaps is very very high.

For tape based sources tape name, start timecode and end timecode are the matches MC uses to link clips to media.

With file sources it's file name, source path as well as timecode unless it's proper tapeless media like XDCAM P2 and others in which case the UMID (a unique serial number) is used to link clips to media.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
on Jul 2, 2012 at 3:21:24 pm

The two files definitely have unique names so I'm not sure what happened. I've moved on and just imported the files rather than link via AMA. When I imported it kept the unique names. Not sure what was happening with AMA, but I had to keep the project rolling.

Thanks for your help.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2012 at 6:15:03 pm

I ran into this at the Sundance Labs a few weeks back with one project coming from the Sony F3 where dupe detection was going wild everything was a dupe. It would be great to a hold of those two files if it were something you're able to release.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 4, 2012 at 12:27:29 am

What is the recorder that is being used to make the file based version of the tape? It appears as though the manufacturer has repurchased a MOB ID in the file that trumps the filename as far as Avid is concerned.

Can you drop one master clip at a time into the console window and copy/paste that back for me to look at? Keep them separate...

Thanks -

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Matt Dragovits
on Jul 8, 2012 at 8:15:23 pm

MIchael,

Thanks for all your help. Right now this is a medical program with regulatory restrictions that prevent me from sharing files or posting any data about the project. I did what I did to try and resolve the technical issue of the AMA, but in the end I just imported the footage instead.

I do want to thank you for all of your help. I may be able to share info after the project is released, but right now my hands are tied.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 8, 2012 at 8:58:32 pm

No problem - It would be interesting for you to drop each clip into the console and see what Media Composer thinks the MOB ID is, or I'll put together the steps to use an AAF dumper to get that information. I suspect it is the on-board recorder repurposing MOB ID's that caused this.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]