FORUMS: list search recent posts

Collaboration with director that edits?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
Collaboration with director that edits?
on Jun 29, 2012 at 1:56:03 am

I am a fcp7 owner looking to move on to avid or premiere. I have experience with both and i think i can make either one work for my purposes (primarily do feature docs). What i'm trying to figure out is how to best collaborate with my director who is a sony vegas user for rough/radio cuts- this is his preferred method of writing and previewing his script. I was going to have him switch to mac/final cut for easy collaboration and streamline our workflow. I basically want him to be able to send his sequences/projects to me so that i dont have to make the edits all over again and deal with his mp4 reference movies. And i want it to be a minimal learning curve for him and minimum cost. I was excited to hear about avid studio, only to find out those sequences can't be sent to media composer. Is there any other option with avid that would make sense in this workflow or does premiere (possibly with prelude) make more sense? At least with adobe he could just pay for a month or year with creative cloud instead of the full purchase. We usually work in different locations. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Collaboration with director that edits?
on Jun 29, 2012 at 4:10:06 am

If you are going to collaborate, you need to use the same NLE. Anything else is asking for a lot of pain and trouble.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Jun 29, 2012 at 12:09:47 pm

I totally agree. I've been trying to get him to switch away from vegas because it has been a pain- and useless on my end. He's now willing to switch but just when i am thinking of switching away from fcp. Just didn't know if there was something simple that i am not aware of that could easily send a simple cut to avid without him having the avid learning curve and cost.
I'm sure it's a longshot. Avid doesn't seem very friendly for sharing off location regardless.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jun 29, 2012 at 4:47:57 pm

As long as you copy your media properly, make sure your media databases are rebuilt every time, sharing off location on Avid is a dream. I prefer it over Final Cut and Premiere, because those systems are dependent on keeping the exact same file structure, even down to the hard drive name. With the Avid, as long as you copy the media to your Avid Media File>MXF>1 folder on both drives, they'll come up online and you're good to go. You can even use "Media Copy" from Automatic Duck which is now offered for free to make the process easier.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]