FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac or Mac mini for Avid Media Composer 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Burrus
iMac or Mac mini for Avid Media Composer 6
on Jun 27, 2012 at 4:11:49 am

I'm a student with 2 grand to spend on computer/monitor for Avid Media Composer 6. Currently deciding between going iMac or Mac mini route .
Also, heard that Mac is better choice than PC because "thunderbolt" not available in PC.
I'd appreciate input, including iff you'd suggest the PC approach..., which one?

thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
Re: iMac or Mac mini for Avid Media Composer 6
on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:13:20 pm

I have my AVID software on an Imac. I bought the 27 inch..and upgraded to i7 with 8 G of ram. That was a bit more than 2K.
It works just fine on that. My bigger problem was updating the software. So far, I have been unable to update it. AVID requires you to uninstall the version you have before upgrading to a new version. I didn't know that at first. Still, I can't get anything above 4 to upgrade on my machine. It still isn't working and won't activate. When it did work..the imac was great.

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jun 27, 2012 at 5:00:42 pm

Thank you so much.
Since Avid Media Composer 6 will my initial install I expect (with it's 64bit capacity and thunderbolt capability)to work well into the future, although, my "student version" includes upgrades for 3 yrs which may be problematic (as your experience demonstrates.
Do you find this reasoning sound?

I also would like your opinion as to importance of the:
1. 21.5 inch monitor with it's 1920 x 1080 resolution versus the 27' monitor with it's 2560 x 1440 resolution. What effect will this have on the actual film product produced.
2. Same question as to the ATI Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB versus ATI Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB memory cards on the 27' models. Also, Effect on product produced?

Finally, would like to know if I can designate the iMac's 27' monitor for the "film viewing" function while using a lesser quality monitor (and, smaller down to 17') for the "editing" function?
Would you consider this a wise course?

Again.., THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:31:44 pm

I'm a writer/producer/director and editor. But not an engineer. So some of your questions...I can't answer.
First, The size of your monitor makes no difference in your final work. If it's coloring you're concerned about, the color tool and waveform monitors keep you inline. You can watch tutorials about using color in AVID on youtube. I prefer the 27 inch because it gives you more work space if you only have one edit monitor, as opposed to two. Of course, MC6 keeps bins as tabs now..so that helps.
I know nothing about the other monitors you mention. That would be more of an engineer question in my world.

You Mac monitor is not the same as an output monitor you find in edit suites. It's a computer screen, afterall, and not a TV. So, I wouldn't edit on a lesser monitor and expect your Mac monitor to be the "output". You should have an excellent product, after adjusting your shots in the color tool for brightness, contrast etc., however. If you don't have access to a true monitor, burn a DVD and watch it on your tv at home. That'll show you what it looks like. Then again...every TV is set to different color tones. (sigh) We all deal with that. But it'll be close.

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:19:49 pm

Thanks.
You sure wear a lot of hats.
I, too, am a writer (of over 35 years but never submitted anything)and have gained experience with the camera. I expect to do most of my direction as I've thoroughly storyboarded quite a few of my better products.
Now that my last daughter is off to college, I intend to learn the editing side.
After that, I'll be off to the races.

I've gained some connections re: lighting and sound production people.
Mind telling me how you connected with those two, so important people?

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:33:13 pm

Well...I've been working in TV for 27 years, so you meet a lot of people along the way.
Most production photographers have a good sense of lighting. So if budgets are small, I rely on them. But when I need extensive lighting and have a budget, I hire a gaffer or go through a company that has grips/gaffers and a truck with all of the lights I need. AZGrip and ReelMen are my go-to folks for lighting in Phoenix. AZGrip travels all over the world, so it's an excellent option.
As far as sound...the best resource I have is a book put out by the Arizona Production Association. Lots of folks list their services there, including grips, makeup, equipment rental etc. See if your state has a production association. They might and that helps you nail down a crew. And if you like one crew member, they often recommend others they like working with as well. Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

William Burrus
on Jun 27, 2012 at 11:27:26 pm

It sure does.
Thanks for your helpful advice.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:18:16 pm

Upgrades are fine if you do it properly. Also you get 4 years of upgrades

Return to posts index