FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA footage on NAS/SAN

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastiaan Renier
AMA footage on NAS/SAN
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:11:39 pm

Hi,

We use a Unity 5 Medianetwork in combination with MC 5.5.3 for online storage. Because we can't expand the storage, we are looking for a NAS or SAN (around 70 TB) as nearline storage where we can store footage recorded in DNxHD and link to it via AMA.

We want the possibility to view the clips in mediacomposer and then consolidate the footage the editor needs to the online storage.

I did some tests with a simple 1Gbps NAS, but it seems to slow. Long clips won't link via AMA and MC stops working.

Has anyone experience with AMA over network? Or does anyone know a good NAS or SAN that will work for us?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: AMA footage on NAS/SAN
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:50:51 pm

Yes. Don't do it. Linking via AMA locally can be shaky enough, but over the network, Unity or ISIS alike, tends to cause various issues with clips randomly going offline. With tapeless material, I link via AMA locally and then transcode to network drives.

If your footage was recorded as DNxHD, why not fast import? It'll come in very quickly and it will come in as native Avid media which will play much nicer.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Sebastiaan Renier
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:51:26 pm

If we had enough online storage, I would love to ingest all the footage, but we haven't and we can't expand the Unity.
We are looking for a way to access around 70 TB of DNxHD footage. We thought to place it on a NAS or SAN, so the 10 MC clients (not all at the same time) could link to the clips via AMA for previewing them and then consolidate the parts they need to the unity for editing.

Return to posts index

Jack Guthrey
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:43:47 pm

I AMA to XDcam on our Terrablock to no ill effects but I also don't heavily edit, just some cuts and AAFs to get into DaVinci (edit, transcode, aaf, DaVinci).

I have the same question Richard has - if it is DNxHD, why AMA link it? Just import and go.

And to clarify, you want to ingest to the new NAS/SAN, log the footage in MC and then consolidate it to the Unity? Do you ever plan to push off the Unity to the NAS/SAN for 'archiving' projects/footage? How many systems would be using the new NAS/SAN?

Jack Guthrey
Carolinas Account Representative
Marshall Graphics Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]