FORUMS: list search recent posts

AvidFX: Where does the imported pictures go ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmanuel Gobert
AvidFX: Where does the imported pictures go ?
on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:29:48 pm

Hi everyone,

in AvidFX interface, we can directly import images.
I have never used this feature because I am not sure where the images go when importing.

I mean, is it like importing a picture directly in avid, and then the picture is "stored" in OMF or MXF folders, so no matter if i delete or if I move the original file ?

Or is there a link between the image file on the hard drive and the image imported in the project (like in After Effects), so if I move the file, the link is broken ?

I hope I'm clear enough, and sorry for the english...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
Re: AvidFX: Where does the imported pictures go ?
on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:37:34 pm

It's the latter. Move the image file and the FX link is broken.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Gobert
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:25:40 pm

Thank you Steve.
Not very pratical so.
I'm working on an Avid Unity Network, and each time in start to work on my project, I'm not sure that the drive letters will be the same than the last session's one.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:41:08 pm

Yeah, that could be a problem. If the FX clip is rendered on the timeline, even changing location of the source file won't undo that until you go in to change a parameter. If you create an image folder on the Unity partition itself, at least you'll always know where to point FX when it goes asking to relink.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Gobert
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:51:20 pm

Thank you Steve for the advices.
My problem here is that I have to make an ID for a TV Broadcast, mainly in after effects.
But to symplify few things for the editors who will use the graphic elements, I want to work with avid FX, mainly for the transitions.
i create graphic elements and some animations of my transitions, and I put the things together in Avid FX with AvidFx Transition.
So the editor only need to put the transition FX on his timeline and everything is Ok... no need to export to After effects, replace the elements, render, and then import to Avid... and no need for him to go in the Avid FX tool if he doesn't know it.

But it seems it is not a good option if there is a need to keep the link between Avid Project and Elements...

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:57:18 pm

Would it be possible to export the transition from FX and include a matte key? That way the editor can import those into the Avid project and utilize them on the timeline as Avid media clips.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Gobert
on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:01:51 pm

Yes, that will probably be the solution. But the transition needs several layers... So there will be something like 6 or 7 video tracks in Avid...
But I think it is the better solution. I just have to find a way to optimize it.

Thanks again Steve.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:06:35 pm

Oh, so you mean the tracks on the timeline are part of the transition itself and those probably change all the time. Yeah, if your editors don't know how to step into FX and relink files, that could be a killer.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Gobert
on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:15:32 pm

In fact there will be something like a "pre-transition effect" and a "post-transition effect", which are quite complex, with texture and different blended modes. The transition itself is a simple wipe (but not vertical or horizontal, in fact it is a "shaped" wipe). So for the transition it self, a matte key will be ok.
It is not a very difficult effect, once you have understood it. But it will take time to achieve.

But I will find a solution to make it simple !!
Thanks again Steve !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]