FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pros and Cons of MC6?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Shepard
Pros and Cons of MC6?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:31:56 pm

I'm looking for a new editing system and I'm leaning towards Avid Media Composer 6, but I wanted to hear some outside opinions on it. If you know about it or have used it, what is good about the software and what don't you like about it? Additionally, what other software should I potentially consider against MC6?

Any and all responses are appreciated, thank you
Shep

Feel free to contact me directly via ShepEdits@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
Re: Pros and Cons of MC6?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:32:30 pm

I'd go with MC 6. It's user friendly and industry standard. You can't go wrong, really.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:39:16 pm

It all depends on what you edit. What type of stuff do you edit? It isn't the best for everything. It's great for episodic TV, feature films, broadcast TV...the like.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Shepard
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:57:50 pm

I'm a film student, so I'll be working on everything from basic school projects to (hopefully) professional grade media projects as time progresses. The reason I find MC6 so appealing is because they offer four years of free upgrades to students in addition to the discounted price.

Shep

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:14:56 pm

If your plan is to go into broadcast TV or feature film, then Avid Media Composer is the app you need to get.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alex Shepard
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:23:55 pm

That's great, but the question is "why?"

i.e. Are there any particular strong points or other areas in which it's lacking? Or is this just because Avid is the industry standard?

Thanks
Shep

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:39:48 pm

Because Avid has been embedded in Hollywood for over 20 years. Let's say that for a start. FCP was chipping away at that choke hold...and was starting to overtake Avid in many areas. But then FCX came out and that pretty much killed FCP's take over.

Now onto what makes it good.

It's main function is to track footage. It has the best media management of all the NLE's. It can relink to media like no other NLE, because it tracks it so diligently. And this is PRETTY major when dealing with tapeless media, and offline/online workflows.

IT has a solid...VERY SOLID...tape input and output workflow, which is still used today.

It deals with 3D natively better than any other NLE. No extras needed to get it right.

Dynamic trimming, which is essential for L cutting techniques, is second to none. Adobe Premiere made better strides in that area than FCP.

You can edit 23.98 non-drop frame, yet track the 29.97 drop frame timing of your cut, to match network delivery.

Built in film tools, frame counters, all that. If you are cutting a feature film...shot on film, Avid is now the ONLY game in town (next to Lightworks). FCX doesn't do film. Adobe doesn't do film No one else does film other than lightworks.

You can mix frame rates RIGHT (FCP did it wrong).

You have universal mastering if you use the Nitris box...meaning convert 29.97 to 25fps, 23.98...23.98 to 25, or 29.97.

Delivery rock solid EDLs...that yes, is OLD tech, but so many people still require it.

Solid workflow with ProTools, as that too is an Avid product. And that is the industry standard audio editor.

Basically the world of broadcast TV and feature film editing was built around Avid, so it plugs in rather well. FCP was designed more and more to fit into that world...and did a lot of things needed. Now, it doesn't.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alex Shepard
on Jun 19, 2012 at 12:32:48 pm

Excellent, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going with Avid but I figure I'll also try to look into some of the Adobe products for the sake of comparison and diversity. I've heard so many people were upset when FCPX came out so I never seriously considered it.

Also, Jack: Thank you for your input, that does make sense.

Shep

Return to posts index

Pete Fausone
on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:46:21 pm

[Shane Ross] " It can relink to media like no other NLE"

This is where you are wrong. It can't reconnect to anything in an online environment like FCP7 does, no comparision. I deal with this everyday.

I even had four of the top Avid engineers out to Fotokem to confirm this, they left agreeing that for file based online I should keep using FCP for now until they fix
it. Here's what goes wrong...

Editors work on DNX36 files that I don't have, they are offline resolution anyway. Then I get a finished sequence. You can't just relink that to online media like FCP7. If you have RED raw files, or Alexa camera files, try relink all day and it will not, ever.
So you "link to AMA" to get the online files into a bin. This is the part that's broken. Avid fails to put the filename into the tape column, and the only way MC links to a file is with the clips timecode and whats in the Tape column. Works great for tape based media, but not file based!

So people do ridiculous workflows like importing all the dailies when only a fraction of them are used in the cut, or going through all the files and manually adding the filename to the tape column one at a time with "modify clip". Insanity. I think MC is extremely weak for online until they make it work like FCP7 for relinking clips.
So for now, I use the absolutely brilliant Boris AAF transfer tool to take the Avid sequence into FCP7, relink to my rendered RED or Alexa clips instantly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 21, 2012 at 5:41:30 pm

Yeah...true. When it comes to relinking to items accessed via AMA, Avid is still working on that. What I meant was when the media is in the Avid file structure, relinking is solid. Stray outside the design, and things get problematic. Although I have gotten Avid to relink to RED files. But the project was a short :30 spot I did as a test (I cut a commercial using footage a friend had to beta test MC6). That worked fine, but the file path to the originals never changed.

FCP is very powerful in what it can do. Very powerful in capable hands. The issue was that because it allowed people to do so much, users who had no clue about editing or codecs would always paint themselves into a corner. Head down the wrong path so early that fixing it meant redoing just about everything.

But now with AMA, and Avid touting that you can "edit native!" and not need to transcode...that is opening things up to a lot of people to make mistakes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jack Guthrey
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:17:30 pm

What does your school teach?

Avid is industry-standard and I personally believe that using Avid will make you more technical savvy as it requires greater input and technical knowledge when compared to Adobe Premiere.

Avid's student program is very good and if you spend those 4 years truly learning the program, you'll have no problem affording another license after you are done with school.

That being said, we recommend that students get a copy of everything and learn them all. You need to know FCP, Media Composer, Premiere, and After Effects for sure.

Jack Guthrey
Carolinas Account Representative
Marshall Graphics Systems

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:32:48 pm

Avid really is the way to go. I currently use FCP 7. I have used an older version of Avid and also currently edit with GVG Edius. But I'll be editing with Avid once I finish the current project I'm cutting.

There really is something to be said for learning what's considered the industry standard. You never know where your next job will be or where you may find yourself working. You want to be ready, and chances are, Avid will be there.

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:18:51 pm

i also think learning how to properly cut in Avid with the keyboard will make you approach other NLE’s in the same manner, therefore being more efficient. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing someone mouseing, and dragging, and dropping within an NLE.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]