FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing storage from project to project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Sebeck
Changing storage from project to project
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:29:16 pm

So its so hard to pass up on a good sale - and since the AVID sale ends today, I'm getting trigger happy! We have 4 FCP workstations with Kona2/3 cards. We haven't had the budget to get a SAN, so currently each system has a 4 bay OWC Mercury Rack Pro attached via eSATA. We then stripe 4 2TB drives into 6TB RAID 5 drives. We typically bill each client for a "dedicated hard drive". We can then take the set of drives into any room, pop them in the enclosure and work.

I haven't used avid in a while - but I remember that it had to have dedicated storage attached to the machine, and that unlike FCP, you cannot swap the drives. Is this still true?

Just trying to see if there is any reason NOT to make the cross grade. months ago it was because of the Kona cards - but that seems to not be an issue now.

Thanks for your help!

-Rick

Partner / Creative Director
Pretty Damn Sweet
http://www.prettydamnsweet.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Changing storage from project to project
on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:29:17 pm

[Rick Sebeck] "I remember that it had to have dedicated storage attached to the machine, and that unlike FCP, you cannot swap the drives. Is this still true?"

It's been a LONG while then. It isn't true anymore. You can use Firewire drives, or USB drives...SAN drives if you want. SAS, eSATA. Whatever is a good drive will work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Changing storage from project to project
on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:34:27 pm

We work locally...from.shared.storage..on drives provided by clients. Fibrejet.esata firewire. Take footage home and contine working..from.mac.to pc ...from.older versions to newer versions...and back again

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]