Symphony running on Matrox MX02 Mini ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Miller
Symphony running on Matrox MX02 Mini ?
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:06:55 pm

Hi !

Question 1 :
Does anyone have any experience running Symphony (preferably 6) on a Matrox MX 02 mini ?

Question 2 :
Which third-party video card would you recommend as a nice (meaning either cheaper for same performance or better performance for same price) alternative to Mojo DX or Nitris DX

I have to give answer to a friend before noon GMT tomorrow as he has to decide whether or not he upgrades MC to Symphony...

Thank you for your answer,

Timothy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Symphony running on Matrox MX02 Mini ?
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:52:26 pm

[Timothy Miller] "Question 1 :
Does anyone have any experience running Symphony (preferably 6) on a Matrox MX 02 mini ?"

Awaiting my new laptop, but when I get it, that's what I'll be testing with it.

[Timothy Miller] "Question 2 :
Which third-party video card would you recommend as a nice (meaning either cheaper for same performance or better performance for same price) alternative to Mojo DX or Nitris DX"

AJA Kona 3 is running SOLID with Symphony.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:28:01 pm

Thank you Shane for a swift response!

In your opinion/experience, is AJA KONA 3 equal or better compared to Mojo DX?
Same question compared to Nitris DX?

When are you getting your laptop?

Best,

Timothy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:57:45 pm

[Timothy Miller] "In your opinion/experience, is AJA KONA 3 equal or better compared to Mojo DX?"

Better. It can upconvert/cross convert and has more inputs/outputs.

[Timothy Miller] "Same question compared to Nitris DX?"

Nope...Nitris has the BIG leg up here. Because it is Avid hardware, it adds acceleration to some effects and processees...it allows for universal mastering where the Kona does not (nor does the MOJO), and has more input options.

[Timothy Miller] "When are you getting your laptop?"

Next Wed. But then I need to get the Matrox Thunderbolt adapter.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:09:40 pm

Thanks again for your time and advice, most appreciated !

Are you waiting for the latest Mac Pro ?

Had a look at your cool blog.
A little overworked and out of time right now but sure to go back later.
I mean, a letter from Ray 'en personne', ├ža c'est ultra-chic !!

Best,
Timothy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:12:17 pm

[Timothy Miller] "
Are you waiting for the latest Mac Pro ?"

Nope. Mine works fine. When it doesn't, then I'll look. Eyeing PCs at the moment...but not too hard. My MacPro is doing very well.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:32:36 am

I have a Matrox MXO 2 mini on my Mac Pro at home. I have been using it since the day Avid approved it for Media Composer. At the time, it was the only option. But today, I would not recommend it. I recently switched to a Black Magic Design Intensity Pro and couldn't be happier. The Intensity Pro works with Avid, Final Cut Studio and Adobe CS 6, with no problems. That is not the case with any of the Matrox MXO 2 products. They have one driver for Avid, one driver each for FInal Cut Pro 7 and 10 and another driver for Adobe CS 6, so pick one. Previously drivers were universal, but only sort of. It would work with Avid, but not so well with other software, but it did work somewhat. So I was faced with creating a multi-boot nightmare to accommodate each driver or find a plan B.

I have had a history using Matrox video products starting with the ill-fated Matrox Studio and in more recent years with the original MXO with Final Cut Pro and finally the MXO2 mini for the past 2 years. My observation is that drivers are always late by 6 months to never. Matrox seemed to just grow quiet about MXO and anything past Leopard and my experience with MXO2 was anywhere from 6 months to almost a year waiting for drivers. Eventually users would try their own combinations of software, OS and drivers and report what works. So right now, you can only use Symphony 6 with Matrox driver XXXX and XXXX requires Lion. No Snow Leopard Support. If you want SL. you can only go to Media Composer 5.5 and no Symphony. Check out all the happy customers at http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/

If you really want an MXO2, I have one for sale that includes both the laptop and desktop I/O card. Thunderbolt interface is also available from Matrox. Otherwise, if all you need is HDMI, a BMD Intensity Pro card at $199 can't be beaten!

And the upgrade to Symphony is worth it. The colour grading is not DaVinci, but it is good for a lot of work and in some cases, faster than a dedicated colour grading system.I have fixed so many shots that just would not be usable with the stripped down corrector in Media Composer.

Dennis Kutchera
EggStudios.ca

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:48:47 am

Dear Dennis,
Now that is a generous answer! Thank you so much.
I personally have upgraded to Symphony and am waiting for the box... I have a Mojo DX so am hoping there won't be any issues.
The question was for a not too technical (also not too well-off) friend here in Paris who I'm trying to convince to upgrade to Symphony also.
The intensity pro seems a really good deal. I suppose that, at a tenth of the price, it doesn't compare to the AJA KONA 3 mentioned by Shane.
Out of curiosity, did you ever manage to use the Matrox HDMI calibration utility with your Mac Pro?
Because I didn't, did I miss out on something?
Thanks again,
Timothy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]